• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Identity Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FLorida
I am looking for some information to help my neighbor, John, with a very complicated problem.
John's birth certificate and Social Security card was stolen and sold to an illegal immigrant. John ordered a replacement SS card and birth certificate and has filed a report with the local police a few years back, but they have said that there was nothing that they could do about it. He has also went to the Social Security office and explained the situation and they told him the only thing they could think of was for him to file for a new number. If he does that he will lose everything that he has paid in for years and then will have to start all over trying to obtain credit, etc.
Now the guy who "bought" his identity is working in Oklahoma and using John's name and SS number. For the past 2 years, he has not been able to get his tax refund back and he keeps getting notices that he owes money to the IRS. He has sent out letters to the places along with the copy of the police report exlaining the situation and that he does not owe the money. This has created all kinds of problems for him recently.

Is there any kind of agency or some department that he can contact to handle this?
What should his next step be? He has filed a police report and contacted the SS office.
He is trying to check out all of his options before he goes ahead and files for a new number, etc.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential