• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stop payment on check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I worked as a freelance tour guide for a New York Company. My last tour ended June 22. My daily pay was $125.00. The company issued me a check for $625 less airfare NYC to orlando, where I live. Total check was $303.58. I just found out that the company has placed a stop payment on this paycheck. What recourse do I have to get paid as I performed the services I was contracted for thanks


Senior Member
What explanation did the employer give when you asked him why he put the stop pay????

Also, if you were an independent contractor (freelance tour guide), this was not a paycheck. It was pay for services rendered.
Were these 'services' provided under a contract??

Send them a letter, certified mail, and advise them that you expect a cashiers check for your services, plus the cost of bank fees (bounces, etc.) giving them a break-down of the fees that 'their' action caused you. Then, if you don't receive your payment, considering suing them in small claims court. If this work was under contract, did they send it to you in Florida? If so, you can sue in your home state. If they don't file a change of venue, then you can apply your home state judgment to them in New York (using the sister-state judgment rule).

Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential