• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Storage of someone else's property without payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

Basically I told the lawyer that I wanted the vehicle gone. I told her that my sister would come and get it, but I wasn't going to release it till I was compensated for my time to make it accessible. So she sent my sister the paperwork and that's when the sister mother had dementia. So she backed out of going any further with it. The lawyer said that my sister would come and get the car if we made it accessible. I told the lawyer that she could come and get it if she wanted to but I wasn't going to do anything unless I got paid for it. And if I had to wait until mom died so we could follow legal properly legal procedures for me to get paid for it to be removed I'd let the sucker sit there until mom died. She can come and down and remove the car by yourself and put everything back or she can pay me to do it. Basically I want to know my options if she comes down to remove the car and doesn't put everything back where she found it.
Don't tell people that they don't know the whole story unless you are willing to tell them the whole story. You can tell the whole story and still be brief or you can simply not say "you don't know the whole story" to people.

You said your sister is 64 years old and bad with money. Therefore, it is possible that she is not physically able to move your stuff out of the way and it is also unlikely that she has the money to pay someone to do it.

She didn't put the stuff in front of the car. You, or someone else put it there. Why should she have to move it? That is the argument that she would make in court and she might very well prevail. Plus, you want it gone but you are not willing to expend any effort to get it gone unless you are compensated. If you aren't compensated or she can't expend all of the effort then you insist on it staying. Do you not see how contradictory that is? Do you not understand that a judge might end up on her side about the whole thing?

Whosever's stuff is in the way should move it. Plain and simple.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
legally why is it my responsibility to move about 10 items?
Because no one else appears to give two hoots about the whole situation. You're the one who is making getting this car moved your life's work; you're the one who needs to make it possible to have it happen. As far as I can tell, no one else in your family would give half a fig if the car stayed right where it is until it rusted into dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">