• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Store Gift Card Zero Balance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, the victim would certainly know if he had a smashed window. Perhaps your question would have been better asked if you wrote "slim jim or key."

;)
Perhaps the thief swept up the broken glass...he's nothing if not neat! :p

(point taken ;) )

Pedas2

Did you ask? Did you push for an explanation? Did you push for a record of the purchases made with the card? Did you talk to somebody in authority or just to the counter clerk? Is this a one-off local store or a corporate chain? If the latter, escalate to the corporate HQ.

Meantime, study up on how it might have happened.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gift+card+thefts&t=h_&ia=web

There might not be anything you can do about it.

I did not ask or push for an expiration and that was my mistake. Lesson learned. I think the link you gave is a good theory of what most likely happened.

In the future, if I were to ask for a record of purchases and the card was used in North Dakota and I have never been to North Dakota, how would I prove it?

adjusterjack

Dunno.

Take precautions before something happens.

Make sure you get a receipt when you buy a card. Check the balance as soon as you get home. Keep a record of your purchases. Don't wait too long to use the card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">