• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange accident...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

demonofthefall

What is the name of your state? La

Hi guys.. this is a wierd situation and I was just wondering what you guys thought. Anyway, im just wondering what measures I should take and basically where I stand. Anyway, late last night I was driving home down a dark road and noticed a huge horse that walked right into the middle of the road. There was no way to stop in time, so sadly, I hit it. Now I was driving a 2005 Dodge Ram and this horse totalled it.Not only that but the force caused me to lose contol and hit the side rail on a small bridge. Fortunately I wasnt seriously injured and only suffered mild whip lash and chest pain from the steering wheel. Small things considering I easily could have died. After the accident, I noticed that there were several loose horses freely walking along the road. All belonging to the same guy who I later found out from a police officer has been in trouble for his animals being loose before. There was a car full of witnesses who all saw the accident and barely escaped one themselves. They were coming the opposite way I was and the horse literally flew over their hood. Adding to my truck being totalled, I had a several things inside that were quite valuable and were broken or smashed by the crash including my guitar. Im just wondering what would be the best way to settle this. Should I get a lawyer? No? Any advice is appreciated.What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

If the owner of the horse was aware that he had a "containment" problem with his animals(and if he'd been cited for it in the past, that's evidence that he did), then it's possible he could be held partially liable for the accident. You should consult a lawyer.

Property that was in the car but not part of the car would be covered by your renters or homeowners insurance, if you have it. Your car, I just learned, would be covered under the Comprehensive part of your car insurance, if you have it.

AMBERDBLUE

Yes, you need an attry. I had a patient come in my ofice that had hit a bull and he and his girlfriend had mild injuries but what the attry will do is file a claim on the owner of the horses house insurance because no doubt it includes and assests on his land. But while that is being taken care of check with your state and see what your med-pay laws are on your own car insurance policy. In oklahoma you can use your car insurance for medical bills and the insurance company CAN NOT drop you or raise your rates. But it does help put a few extra bucks in your pocket. The longer you wait on the attry the harder it is for them to get things done. Act quick.

demonofthefall said:

Hi guys.. this is a wierd situation and I was just wondering what you guys thought. Anyway, im just wondering what measures I should take and basically where I stand. Anyway, late last night I was driving home down a dark road and noticed a huge horse that walked right into the middle of the road. There was no way to stop in time, so sadly, I hit it. Now I was driving a 2005 Dodge Ram and this horse totalled it.Not only that but the force caused me to lose contol and hit the side rail on a small bridge. Fortunately I wasnt seriously injured and only suffered mild whip lash and chest pain from the steering wheel. Small things considering I easily could have died. After the accident, I noticed that there were several loose horses freely walking along the road. All belonging to the same guy who I later found out from a police officer has been in trouble for his animals being loose before. There was a car full of witnesses who all saw the accident and barely escaped one themselves. They were coming the opposite way I was and the horse literally flew over their hood. Adding to my truck being totalled, I had a several things inside that were quite valuable and were broken or smashed by the crash including my guitar. Im just wondering what would be the best way to settle this. Should I get a lawyer? No? Any advice is appreciated.What is the name of your state?

justalayman

I disagree a bit with ecsm12. If the owner of the horse has record of failure to contain his animals, he would be more than "partially" liable.

As well, you could seek the value of the damaged personal items as well from the horse owner. As ecm posted though, those items would be coverered by insurance other than your auto insurer. If you do have insurance to cover this, file a claim with them and let them seek repayment from the horse owner.

If you have comp or collision inurance is to contact your insurance company to fight this for you. If you have insurance to cover your vehicle, your insurance company will cover it and seek redress from any other liable party.

AHA

demonofthefall said:

So, what happened to the horse?

janedoe23

demonofthefall said:
noticed a huge horse that walked right into the middle of the road.
If you noticed the huge horse walking in the middle of the road why did you not stop?

Please tell us, what did happen to the horse?

demonofthefall

Hmm... No offense but common sense tells you that its a bit hard to stop completely when traveling 50-55 mph on a fairly busy road. I noticed the horse but by then it was too late. It basically came from a dark sugar cane field on the side of the road and walked straight onto it. Im not sure at all but I'd imagine the horse died. It did a number on the truck so I could only guess how it came out. :-( Thanks to everyone who has responded. Anyone else who has any kind of input would help as well.

janedoe23

demonofthefall said:
Hmm... No offense but common sense tells you that its a bit hard to stop completely when traveling 50-55 mph on a fairly busy road. I noticed the horse but by then it was too late. It basically came from a dark sugar cane field on the side of the road and walked straight onto it. Im not sure at all but I'd imagine the horse died. It did a number on the truck so I could only guess how it came out. :-( Thanks to everyone who has responded. Anyone else who has any kind of input would help as well.
I do have common sense, I was just quoting exactly what YOU had stated. I just found it rather odd that you noticed a huge horse walking and still hit it. :D

moburkes

I'd hold off filing the homeowners/renters claim. Even if they subroage and get reimbursed, you can't get that off your record (that you filed a claim). You will have a hard time changing companies with that claim on your record. Do it if you have to, but if you can wait for the responsible party's insurance to start paying, I would.

ecmst12-You answered correctly about the comp coverage!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">