• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strange question about VA medical assistance.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maryjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My ex was a Marine.

Recently he requested our son's birth certificate. When I asked what he needed it for he said that he was trying to get medical assistance through the VA and that they wanted it.

I dont understand why the VA would need his son's birth certificate so HE could get medical assistance but I thought I would ask. Is that something that the VA normally asks for?

The reason it doesnt sit right with me is because this man often is up to no good and he is out to get me since he didnt get to claim our son on his taxes this year due to be behind on his child support and is trying to find a way to get revenge on me. This time last year he was telling his family our son had spent enough time with me and it was time he was raised by his father and he was taking him away from me. So, yeah...it has me concerned.

I dont know that this was the right place to post this but does anyone here have any information on this? Our son already has insurance through my job so its not like he needs any medical assistance but that was the excuse my ex gave me for them needing his birth certifcate. That maybe he could get medical assistance throug the VA too since he was born while my ex was in active duty.

Thanks for any help!

proud_parent

It's been roughly 15 years since I worked as a VA claims clerk, so the documentation requirements may have changed. To the best of my recollection:

Dependents' birth certificates are not required for:
- Enrolling a veteran into the VA healthcare system
- Determining a veteran's eligibility for healthcare benefits

Dependents' birth certificates are required for:
- Initiating a disability compensation / pension benefits claim for the veteran
- Enrolling a veteran's dependents into the CHAMPVA healthcare program
- Applying for survivors' benefits

Survivors' benefits are not applicable in this case, as your ex is still living. Your son is not CHAMPVA eligible unless your ex has been rated permanently and totally disabled due to a service-connected disability. Therefore, the most likely scenario in which the VA would in fact request your son's birth certificate is in the event your ex is pursuing a disability claim.

maryjo

Aaaaahhhhh! Very interesting! Thanks for the reply. I seriously doubt he could get disability for a messed up ankle. He supposedly fractured it during basic training in 1996. He continued for 4 years in the Marines and got out after that on an honorable. Aside from the occassional sprain, his ankle hasnt stopped him from doing anything.

But thank you for answering. I appreciate it.

CourtClerk

Well, why don't you do this:

If he's claiming that the VA needs kiddo's birth certificate, then get the contact information for the person at the VA who needs it and send it to them.

OTOH, it is the child's father and he's ENTITLED to have a copy anyway. I don't see why he doesn't just go to Vital Statistics (or whoever handles such things) and get his own copy of the child's birth certificate and social security number.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">