• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stroke victim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tfrost2002

My brother had a stroke a few days ago. He lives in California and I live in Missouri. His doctors have indicated that he has limited mental and speech capabilities at this time but is improving. I am trying to determine who has legal responsibility for him if he is deemed to be incapable of making his own decisions.

As his only relative would I be responsible for him?

What steps should I take to protect him legally and financially?

How should I proceed?

FlyingRon

Absent a prior medical power of attorney on his part, none of you can without court order. You can go to the probate court and get appointed guardian/conservator which will allow you to make such decisions. You need to do that in California. For practical purposes, it will take a lawyer (especially with you being out of the state).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">