• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stuttering!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

You have no idea how hard is it to get a job, employers look at you as an alien....

'Scuse me, but how do you know that I'm not intimately familiar with stuttering?

Either way - stuttering in and of itself is very unlikely to be considered a disability.

There are literally millions of people who stutter, and go on to lead successful, productive lives.

Even royalty...

Iwonder?

There are literally millions of people who stutter, and go on to lead successful, productive lives.

Even royalty...
Oh know that made my night!

Jack, brush up on your spelling or invest in a spell check.

Try working on your skills to sell yourself instead of the poor me attitude.

jack153

'Scuse me, but how do you know that I'm not intimately familiar with stuttering?

Either way - stuttering in and of itself is very unlikely to be considered a disability.

Even royalty...
I wasn't trying to attack you... but thank you

For 29 years I tired everything I gave up
I don't think you can get unequivocal answers on whether or not your specific case would qualify as a disability as per SSI.

But please bear in mind that while you feel as though you're treated as an alien (and please, I mean you no disrespect), you are able to "hide" your disability (though you shouldn't need to). There are many people with cleft palates (a disability that, unless "repaired" via surgery, is nearly impossible to "hide") who do NOT qualify for SSDI.

For instance, let's say your disability precludes at length conversation (for the sake of an illustration). That wouldn't preclude you from seeking employment doing medical transcripts from home. Or from doing what I do currently ~ technical illustrations. Or with the appropriate educational background, being a freelance technical writer.

Do you see what I mean? You'd have to have someone versed in SSDI actually review your situation and see what you can and can't do ~ and how that would affect your employ-ability.

We simply can't give you unequivocal answers.

I do wish you the best of luck, though. Please do keep us posted.

Betty

What kind of jobs have you applied for? It seems as if you should be able to do some type of work.

Can you do something like construction/maintenance, stocking shelves/bagging groceries, or a legitimate work at home job that doesn't require speaking?

Good luck to you. (We really can't say for sure whether you would or wouldn't qualify for SSI. We don't have complete information regarding your stuttering. It "seems" kind of doubtful though.)

Last edited:

csi7

Have you ever done a career assessment test at a job center?

With stuttering, it can be hidden. You can find ways to help keep your stuttering in control and allow you to work.

The process for Social Security Disability is started with a detailed application, and you can see the application on-line. Doing the application will give you an idea of what is required to determine whether you meet the legal requirements for Social Security Disability(SSDI). The Supplemental Security is based upon income and is done monthly(SSI).

Noone here has access to your medical information which is what the Social Security Administration uses to determine eligibility for Social Security Disability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">