• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Submitted documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jubar67

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida.

Good Morning. My daughter is currently going through the process of getting an official parenting plan/visitation schedule with the father of her son (boyfriend, not husband) and it's not going well. She can't afford a lawyer, so I'm helping where I can...printing the documents she needed to submit, etc. My only question for now is if the father is required to send her copies of anything he submits regarding their case? She has sent him copies (via email) of everything she's submitted, but he has apparently submitted several things (we can see the list on the public portion of the clerks website) that he has not submitted to her. If it matters, he has provided all of the legal documents such as his version of a parenting plan, financial affidavit, etc, but he's apparently also submitted what's only listed as "Text Messages" and "Family memo to Judge" and apparently a letter from his girlfriends employer (odd).

I'm trying to only give information relevant to my question, but it's a very long story and I'm happy to give more information if needed, just didn't want to ramble too much if not needed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please have your daughter log on to ask her own questions about her own legal matter. She is likely to have information you do not.

t74

The best way to help would be to pay for a consultation for her with an attorney who practices in that court especially if things are "not going well". She does not have to engage him to represent her at the hearings, etc; she would ask him specific questions. Some attorneys may be willing to take payments on the account. It is easier and cheaper to prevent a problem than to fix it afterwards.

Since dad has already submitted a plan, she should compare it to what is the basic standard and what she would like. Since it sounds like this is the first one, a standard seems like a good start unless there are special circumstances that would indicate a need for a deviation.

She should read the forum to see what the "gotchas" are so that she is aware of how conflicts arise - especially when there are significant others involved (dad's girlfriend's employer?)

I hope support has already been determined.

Please be the voice of reason and remind her that it is in the best interest of the child and not time for the exs to take out their frustrations on each other at the child's expense. This may mean telling your DD that she is being unreasonable/unrealistic.

Jubar67

Thank you for your input t74. My daughter is definitely being the reasonable one. Her submitted parenting plan allows for 50/50 custody in response to his in which he asks for 4 weekdays, and every other weekend, giving my daughter one day a week and EO weekend.

She was trying to keep everything civil, with time split right down the middle, but the girlfriend is obviously trying to push my daughter as far out of the picture as possible.

She will be speaking to an attorney next week and hopefully he will tell her whether or not he should have provided her with all the additional "documents".

t74

Thank you for your input t74. My daughter is definitely being the reasonable one. Her submitted parenting plan allows for 50/50 custody in response to his in which he asks for 4 weekdays, and every other weekend, giving my daughter one day a week and EO weekend.

She was trying to keep everything civil, with time split right down the middle, but the girlfriend is obviously trying to push my daughter as far out of the picture as possible.

She will be speaking to an attorney next week and hopefully he will tell her whether or not he should have provided her with all the additional "documents".
Does your DD's employer have a legal plan or EAP?

When DD signs in ask her to be more specific about the current issues. Is it just the proposed schedule or is there something else (not a long story, please).

Has the child been residing with your DD since birth? What is the current visitation/custody arrangement?

His proposal is typical for a distance plan since 50/50 for a school aged child needs the parents to live nearby. Depending on the child's age and the distance between the two homes, 50/50 may not be a good option. What is the distance between the residences? Be sure DD looks at which parent's residence determines school registration.

Does GF live with ex? Are there other children in any of the families?

Did this action start immediately after a support order was entered? Did it start with this GF?

DD should definitely discuss the GF with the attorney. He/she should know DD's court's expectations for involvement of 3rd parties and how this should be handled in the visitation. Remember it works both ways.

Unfortunately, custody/visitation can become retaliation for a support order. I hope this is not the case and that both parents (excluding SOs) truly want what is appropriate for the child.

Also, does ex have an attorney or is he representing himself?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">