• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subscription I Didn't Know About... HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eagle20

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I purchased a Coupon Book for $11.00 directly from the publishers website on March 14th. I wasn't happy when I received the book, it has very few local coupons and the savings aren't anything worth paying for. But thought the few I could use, I would at least break even. A little over a week later I went to a restaurant I had a coupon for. When it came time to pay the bill, I presented the coupon and they were hesitant to accept it. Stated they didn't know there were coupons in the book for their restaurant. They did end up accepting it, I received an "estimated savings of $8" according to my account on the publishers website, but it left me worried I would have issues using the coupons.

But then on July 10th I get an email from the publisher that my order for another Coupon Book for $30 shipped. They claim I opted into their Annual Renewal Program., which they quickly pointed out that Annual doesn't mean I'm billed on the anniversary of my purchase. They said when I purchased my Coupon Book in March it was on sale for $16, but there was an advertisement to save $5 instantly by enrolling in the Annual Renewal Program. The "button" as they described it was selected to enroll rather than to, "No thanks". Saying I agreed to buy the next Coupon Book they published for $30 so I could get my first Coupon Book for $11 instead of $16. I explained I did not knowingly agree to anything, which is the truth. And who in their right mind would agree to this anyway?

They said to get a refund I have to wait for the Coupon Book to deliver and return it using their shipping label. Then once they receive the Coupon Book back they will issue a refund, less $7.95 return shipping. I told them no... I didn't ask for it to be shipped, I'm not paying to return it and certainly not more than twice what actual shipping cost would be. They also claim that "per their Terms & Conditions", an email reminder was sent to me on 6/27/2019, even stating down to a time it was sent. If that were true I would have received it, but that's not the case. I received no reminder or even an order confirmation, the only two ways I would have otherwise known about this in time to cancel. I know it is not a coincidence that I received no emails prior to the shipping notification, by which time they'd already billed me.

I went right to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website to file a complaint. I see they're not BBB accredited, which is no surprise, and they have a D+ Rating from so many complaints. I filed mine as well, which they of course have no responded to. Then two days ago tracking updated and I find out the order didn't even ship until the 12th, and my requests for a refund that were denied, I started making on the 10th! I went to update my BBB complaint, but couldn't add anything. So I emailed them to see if this information could be added somehow. I was told I have to wait until the business responds, then I was directed to information where the BBB just investigated them due to a pattern of incoming complaints similar to mine. At which point I was directed to my states Attorney General, which I know isn't a good sign.

The Coupon Book delivered today and I'm absolutely furious. They shipped using UPS Mail Innovations, which led me to another run around today. I contacted UPS to confirm when the package was shipped, they tell me I have a USPS tracking number they can't track and I have to call USPS. But when I call USPS all they can tell me is when they received it on the 15th, which was from UPS. The publisher claims the service they use is a partnership between UPS and USPS, yet when I call neither can tell me anything. In fact when I spoke to my local post master today I was told to refuse delivery. But the publishers website says a Coupon Book returned without their label will not be refunded and will not be returned. So refusing delivery isn't an option either.

Can anyone offer some advice on what to do? I want my $30 back and don't feel I should have to pay to get it :(

PayrollHRGuy

Call your credit card company and deny the charge.

ETA: The BBB is a bit of a scam itself and has NO police powers. If your coupon publisher were to join them you'd see that D turn into an A pretty quick.

quincy

I purchased a Coupon Book for $11.00 directly from the publishers website on March 14th. I wasn't happy when I received the book, it has very few local coupons and the savings aren't anything worth paying for. But thought the few I could use, I would at least break even. A little over a week later I went to a restaurant I had a coupon for. When it came time to pay the bill, I presented the coupon and they were hesitant to accept it. Stated they didn't know there were coupons in the book for their restaurant. They did end up accepting it, I received an "estimated savings of $8" according to my account on the publishers website, but it left me worried I would have issues using the coupons.

But then on July 10th I get an email from the publisher that my order for another Coupon Book for $30 shipped. They claim I opted into their Annual Renewal Program., which they quickly pointed out that Annual doesn't mean I'm billed on the anniversary of my purchase. They said when I purchased my Coupon Book in March it was on sale for $16, but there was an advertisement to save $5 instantly by enrolling in the Annual Renewal Program. The "button" as they described it was selected to enroll rather than to, "No thanks". Saying I agreed to buy the next Coupon Book they published for $30 so I could get my first Coupon Book for $11 instead of $16. I explained I did not knowingly agree to anything, which is the truth. And who in their right mind would agree to this anyway?

They said to get a refund I have to wait for the Coupon Book to deliver and return it using their shipping label. Then once they receive the Coupon Book back they will issue a refund, less $7.95 return shipping. I told them no... I didn't ask for it to be shipped, I'm not paying to return it and certainly not more than twice what actual shipping cost would be. They also claim that "per their Terms & Conditions", an email reminder was sent to me on 6/27/2019, even stating down to a time it was sent. If that were true I would have received it, but that's not the case. I received no reminder or even an order confirmation, the only two ways I would have otherwise known about this in time to cancel. I know it is not a coincidence that I received no emails prior to the shipping notification, by which time they'd already billed me.

I went right to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website to file a complaint. I see they're not BBB accredited, which is no surprise, and they have a D+ Rating from so many complaints. I filed mine as well, which they of course have no responded to. Then two days ago tracking updated and I find out the order didn't even ship until the 12th, and my requests for a refund that were denied, I started making on the 10th! I went to update my BBB complaint, but couldn't add anything. So I emailed them to see if this information could be added somehow. I was told I have to wait until the business responds, then I was directed to information where the BBB just investigated them due to a pattern of incoming complaints similar to mine. At which point I was directed to my states Attorney General, which I know isn't a good sign.

The Coupon Book delivered today and I'm absolutely furious. They shipped using UPS Mail Innovations, which led me to another run around today. I contacted UPS to confirm when the package was shipped, they tell me I have a USPS tracking number they can't track and I have to call USPS. But when I call USPS all they can tell me is when they received it on the 15th, which was from UPS. The publisher claims the service they use is a partnership between UPS and USPS, yet when I call neither can tell me anything. In fact when I spoke to my local post master today I was told to refuse delivery. But the publishers website says a Coupon Book returned without their label will not be refunded and will not be returned. So refusing delivery isn't an option either.

Can anyone offer some advice on what to do? I want my $30 back and don't feel I should have to pay to get it :(
How did they get the $30?

LdiJ

Challenge the charge with your bank. I suspect that they will already be familiar with this company. If you used a debit card you will need to cancel it and get a new one.

LdiJ

Call your credit card company and deny the charge.

ETA: The BBB is a bit of a scam itself and has NO police powers. If your coupon publisher were to join them you'd see that D turn into an A pretty quick.
The BBB isn't a scam at all. Its true that they have no legal "teeth" but they are the YELP of yesteryear. In the past if you didn't have a good rating from the BBB many people wouldn't do business with you. Now, many people won't do business with you if you don't have a good rating through YELP.

LdiJ

In yesteryear, they may have been fine. Today they harass merchants.
That has not been our company's experience with the BBB at all. They have always found in our favor and removed any uncalled for accusations. Of course that may be because we deal with our customers appropriately.

Eagle20

The Publisher charged my debit card I used to purchase my Coupon Book in March. When I got the shipping notification for this second Coupon Book last week, the charge had already been processed. I didn't get anything letting me know about an order, just an email letting me know it shipped at which point I couldn't do anything about it.

As far as complaints, I know where I can file more, but that won't get me my money back. I filed the one with the BBB on the 11th, it was sent to them on the 12th and they haven't even acknowledged it.

I was going to refuse delivery as USPS advised me to, but I'm leery of losing all my money. Now I'm backed into a corner... I either forget the whole thing and am out $30, or I buy their $8 label so I can get $22 back. But the idea of having to literally pay them to refund most my money just really burns me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To be honest, the company is probably right. Every step you took probably led you to agreeing to this shipment for $30. I'm not saying that what they didn't wasn't sneaky, but all of the information was probably there and you just clicked through it...we all do that and sometimes it comes back to bite us in the butt.

If it were me, I'd suck up the $8 to get the $30 back (your net is $22). Consider it a lesson learned about reading things more carefully.

LdiJ

The Publisher charged my debit card I used to purchase my Coupon Book in March. When I got the shipping notification for this second Coupon Book last week, the charge had already been processed. I didn't get anything letting me know about an order, just an email letting me know it shipped at which point I couldn't do anything about it.

As far as complaints, I know where I can file more, but that won't get me my money back. I filed the one with the BBB on the 11th, it was sent to them on the 12th and they haven't even acknowledged it.

I was going to refuse delivery as USPS advised me to, but I'm leery of losing all my money. Now I'm backed into a corner... I either forget the whole thing and am out $30, or I buy their $8 label so I can get $22 back. But the idea of having to literally pay them to refund most my money just really burns me.
Again, go to your bank and challenge the charge. You have more choices than either living with being out the 30.00 or paying 8.00 for a 22.00 refund. You are perfectly within your rights to challenge the charge and its highly likely that your bank will agree with you.

Yes, it will mean the inconvenience of cancelling your debit card and getting a new one, but isn't that worth it?

Zigner

That has not been our company's experience with the BBB at all. They have always found in our favor and removed any uncalled for accusations. Of course that may be because we deal with our customers appropriately.
We have another poster here who tells of being contacted by their local BBB with offers of better ratings and results if they pay the money to join.

Zigner

You have more choices than either living with being out the 30.00 or paying 8.00 for a 22.00 refund.
It isn't paying $8 for a $22 refund. It's getting a $30 refund with $8 deducted for the return shipping

quincy

The company should be sending you a return label at their cost, not yours, if they sent you something you did not order.

I agree with LdiJ that you should speak to your bank. Getting charges reversed when you used a debit card is nearly impossible but you can prevent future charges by canceling your current card and having the bank issue you a new one.

A report to the BBB is not apt to do anything. All the BBB does is contact the business and say there is a complaint. The company can respond - or not - and that is that.

A complaint to the AG can be more effective, but only when there have been several complaints against the same business.

I am afraid your choices are not great. Stopping all future coupon books from being charged to you is the one I would work on first. Whether to keep this latest book and make whatever use of it you can (and I understand how worthless the coupons can be - bought a book once :)) or you can take a loss of $8 and send it back. Although you probably deserve a full refund, it can cost you more in the long run to try to get it.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">