• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Succession rights NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Francis45

New York

Ok my partner died 3 weeks ago suddenly. We have a rent controlled apartment. I have been here 18 years. My name isn't on the lease. He took care of everything. All the bills were in his name. Other than me signing my paychecks over to him there was no formal commingling of funds. I have loads of proof I lived here. Voter reg. Drivers Licensee. Mail, my name is on the box, Testimony that we were domestic partners from friends and family, employers etc.

Am I going to loose my apartment? Should I continue to pay the rent via Money Order with his name?? I did that this month.

Absoultely desperate

C

CA. Landlady

Quite possibly you do not have the right according to the NY rent control laws as they relate to succession rights of a relative. I suggest you seek information from the local housing authority.

You may also find tenant.net helpful.

Y

yoyoma

You Have a right to be desperate........

By not being on the lease and by not being registered as domestic partners, you will incur Legal fees.

The landlord has NOTHING to lose by dropping $10,000 on a lawyer, so you must have at least half of that to defend yourself.

You will probably win, but it aint gonna be cheap.

But it will be a lot cheaper then moving and paying double or triple the rent!!!

I hope he had a will and some life insurance and you were the beneficiary.

Now is the landlord a BIG corporation or a mom and pop operation? If the landlord Knows you and sees your name on the mailbox that could make it easier for you to get sucession.

No comingling of funds will be used against you, driving up legal costs. Did you have anything with both your names on it? I had credit cards with my girlfriends name on it 20 years ago!!!

Because they will assume that you were just friends and therefore NOT entitled to a lease.

Did either one of you have a second home?

Did you stay there during the year seperatly?

-------------
PS...just dont be surprised if the landlord offers you $5000 $10,000 or more to vacate....they would rather offer you money then sue.

And becuase you are broke or emotionally upset, most people take the money and run, and screwing themselfs in the azzzz once they calm down and realize they got ripped off!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">