• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued by a disgruntled outside person we never heard of

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Thank you so much for your responses - all very valid! Yes it's a church but we engaged in a non-profit venture (or company that is a sole-proprietorship for the pastor). It was done to help people during this Covid, but there are pathological people at every turn - very sad world we live in - definitely not the 1980's.
What exactly did the complaint allege that your non-profit venture did that would allow for damages to be awarded?

Who exactly is alleging this?

What exactly is being sought by the plaintiff from this non-profit venture?

Who are you in relation to the non-profit?

FlyingRon

There are indeed some religious groups that believe they should not incorporate so as to not extend the state's power over them.

quincy

There are indeed some religious groups that believe they should not incorporate so as to not extend the state's power over them.
There are also some “religious groups” that are not really religious groups and simply call themselves that to avoid paying taxes.

It would help if we had more information. :)

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
There are also some “religious groups” that are not really religious groups and simply call themselves that to avoid paying taxes.
Well, at least attempt to avoid paying taxes. It's an attempt that often does not go well. I recall a group which I'll call the Church of the Uprights which claimed that its religion was worshiping pro football, with its religious services being held on Sunday afternoons gathering in front of the almighty TV set. They really thought the government would buy that. After getting hit with penalties, they didn't think it so funny. (I made up the name of the group, of course, because of privacy law and the terms of this site. But just like this made up name the real name included a football term in it. :LOL:)

quincy

Well, at least attempt to avoid paying taxes. It's an attempt that often does not go well. I recall a group which I'll call the Church of the Uprights which claimed that its religion was worshiping pro football, with its religious services being held on Sunday afternoons gathering in front of the almighty TV set. They really thought the government would buy that. After getting hit with penalties, they didn't think it so funny. (I made up the name of the group, of course, because of privacy law and the terms of this site. But just like this made up name the real name included a football term in it. :LOL:)
There was an organized group of Floridians who would on a regular basis sacrifice chickens and other birds as part of their religious ceremonies. Neighbors objected. The chicken sacrifice was upheld by the courts. Interesting case. Santeria is the religion and the practitioners of it are primarily located in Cuba.

adjusterjack

There was an organized group of Floridians who would on a regular basis sacrifice chickens and other birds as part of their religious ceremonies. Neighbors objected.
Can't imagine why the objection. We sacrifice a gazillion chickens a year to the God of Groceries.

Maybe it was the dancing naked around the fire that the neighbors objected to. ;)

quincy

Can't imagine why the objection. We sacrifice a gazillion chickens a year to the God of Groceries.

Maybe it was the dancing naked around the fire that the neighbors objected to. ;)
Haha.

Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah:
https://www.oyez.org/cases/1992/91-948

At issue were Hialeah’s ordinances adopted after the establishment of the church that specifically banned the religious practices of Santeria (e.g., animal sacrifice).

quincy

I can. Picture the episode where they are wrapping chocolates on the conveyor belt. I just imagine chickens and a meat cleaver instead of chocolates.

You imagined it as soon as you read that sentence. LOL.
Actually, the chocolate episode was the first one that came to mind when I read your post. But wrapping chocolates is not quite the same as decapitating chickens. Close, maybe. But not the same. Haha.

Just Blue

You guys have totally ruined that episode for me. I'll forever see bloody chicken instead of chocolates while watching it from now on. Thanks Guys. :sneaky:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">