• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing my former employer for unpaid wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Vienna, Virginia which is in the county of Fairfax. I usd to work in Arlington, Virginia which is in the county of Arlington. I worked for Charles E. Smith Residential Realty, up until May 24th, 2001. My last check was supposed to be deposited into my account today, June 1st 2001. This is the second time since I've turned in my resignation that my check was not deposited in full, and upon the first occasion it took me four days to finally get a check. I believe that they are doing this deliberately, and I need to know what legal actions if any that I need to take to get payment. Thank you.


Senior Member
At this point (with only a few days lost) it probably isn't worth the cost and ordeal of taking legal action. Especially considering that, based on past experience, you will receive your pay before any processes can actually be completed.

My suggestions:
1) Wait a little longer (I know, it isn't right, but you need to try to be a little patient).
2) Then, if you either do not get payment, or the payment is not in full, send a letter (certified RRR) to the employer detailing your concerns (no payment or short payment). Give him a reasonable amount of time (5 days from receipt?) to respond.
3) Then, if he doesn't pay you the full amount owed, you will need to consider taking further action, as in Small Claims court to get your money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential