• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support arrearages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jb8849

I reside in Utah (where order was established) and ex moved to Nevada in August 1999. He has not paid child support since then. Supposedly, the Nevada attorney general's office is serving him with papers for non-payment of support. I've waited two months for this to happen. Is it possible to find out more info: when, where for court? Is there any possibility that he might be required to pay his support any time soon?

L

LadyBlu

jb8849 said:
I reside in Utah (where order was established) and ex moved to Nevada in August 1999. He has not paid child support since then. Supposedly, the Nevada attorney general's office is serving him with papers for non-payment of support. I've waited two months for this to happen. Is it possible to find out more info: when, where for court? Is there any possibility that he might be required to pay his support any time soon?
I can tell you from first hand experience, these things take time.. sometimes too long. I would contact the DA in your county that the order was established in and pursue criminal non support. Also if he files a tax return... you may be getting that next year if there is a refund.

jb8849

LadyBlu:
That makes sense to me, but Utah tells me that they no longer "work" the case because they've turned it over to Nevada. Nevada tells me that Utah is working the case. I just get confused and have headaches. Methinks the states are confused .... or lazy.

L

LadyBlu

jb8849 said:
LadyBlu:
That makes sense to me, but Utah tells me that they no longer "work" the case because they've turned it over to Nevada. Nevada tells me that Utah is working the case. I just get confused and have headaches. Methinks the states are confused .... or lazy.

Utah has continuing Jurisdiction, NV is just the enforcing state. In other words, NV cannot modify the Utah order in any way, all they have the jurisdiction to do is enforce the income withholding. Dont let them get to you. They all try to pass the buck. Like I had stated if they dont do anything for you soon, get hold of your District Attorney, the CSEA can also keep pursuing support from their end, but you can also get criminal charges pressed against him. Maybe that will motivate him to send some money a little quicker.
Also, if all else fails and you can afford to let someone have a percentage of any funds they collect for you try:

http://www.suportkids.com
or any other private child support enforcement comp. and they can get more accomplished as they are more aggressive in their collection methods.

Good Luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">