• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support for disabled adult child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

The degree granting me custody of my son states something similar to "This court decrees that LI'L KID is a disabled child and not able to care for himself", (sorry, I don't have the document in front of me, but that's the gist of it.) It makes no mention of terminating child support whatsoever.

A few months after his 18th birthday, the AG's office called and left me a message that they were cancelling my ex husband's child support obligation because the child was now of age. I didn't object because, well, they were right, he was of age.

I'm told now, however, that the AG didn't have that right and that only a judge could stop the child support, which should have been continued since the court declared him disabled.

Can anyone tell me what is the truth? Do I have any recourse at this point? I am still providing for approximately 90% of my son's support, and have no expectations that that will change.

nextwife

A child who is disabled does not automatically become an adult who cannot support themself. My daughter, for example, when younger, had severe auditory, speech and other developmental disabilities, but will be an independent adult due to various interventions. So, an assessment done way back in childhood does not automatically advise that the former child is still unable to be independent in adulthood.

There are many factors including independence training and the nature and severity of the disability.

How long ago was this, and what is the child's potential outcome?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">