• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended License other offenses trying to put behind me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HeplerNC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I have been trying to put a DWLR behind me for over a year now. I went through a nasty divorce and let a cpl of unpaid traffic violations go unpaid resulting in my license being suspended/revoked. AS a result of the divorce and loss of revenue a kept puting the issue off. Igot stopped several times resulting in DWLR charges and then was finally arrested. I posted bond an paid a lawyer to handle the issue in 2 counties. I had several failure to appears at this time due to lack of transportaion etc. Long and short of it my lawyer took care of the issue however failing to do 3 recalls when we went to court leaving me in the same situation cause he wanted more money to call on the docket. I was stopped again and served 37 days in county jail getting time served. However, 1 county for the same charge with cpl other minor charges had not been satified due to lack of monies. And there has been warrant for my arrest in that county. Someone called on me and I was picked up and arrested. When I posted bond another warrant showed up in the county my lawyer said previously handled sor same thing, DWLR and speeding. Another failed responsibilty as it turns out by my atouney. As it stands now I have 2 court dates and am out on bond. I can't afford a lawyer and am worried about getting jail time. I have anew job, am trying to put this behind me and if money wasn't an issue woud have by now. What advise does anyone have. I have court on Jan 6th in one county and the 10th in the other. I want to just plead guilty and ask the courts mercy for my job and family responsibilities. And wan to get legal again. As really the last 3 years have been a low point of my life. What should I do?

FlyingRon

If you want to stay out of jail, stop breaking the law. While your tickets and initial suspension can be blamed on the divorce, etc... your continued illegal operation of a motor vehicle when you know you do not have a valid license is inexcusable. Find someone to drive you to court where you have outstanding issues. Appear and take your lumps. Save up the money to pay off the fines (we don't put people in jail for not being able to afford their fines). Then no driving until you pay all the remaining off and go to the DMV and get reinstated.

This is how you "put it behind you."
Continuing to violate the law is never going to get it behind you.

HeplerNC

The harsh critism is appreciated. Now if someong with some legal advise would respond I'd appreciate it. Clearly this idiot hasn't been thru the trials of a nasty divorce. Lost the way to manage and afford much of the basic things in life yet still have to go to work risking driving etc.
If you want to stay out of jail, stop breaking the law. While your tickets and initial suspension can be blamed on the divorce, etc... your continued illegal operation of a motor vehicle when you know you do not have a valid license is inexcusable. Find someone to drive you to court where you have outstanding issues. Appear and take your lumps. Save up the money to pay off the fines (we don't put people in jail for not being able to afford their fines). Then no driving until you pay all the remaining off and go to the DMV and get reinstated.

This is how you "put it behind you."
Continuing to violate the law is never going to get it behind you.

Just Blue

The harsh critism is appreciated. Now if someong with some legal advise would respond I'd appreciate it. Clearly this idiot hasn't been thru the trials of a nasty divorce. Lost the way to manage and afford much of the basic things in life yet still have to go to work risking driving etc.
Yup Snowflake. You are the ONLY one to be divorced nastily. How could ANYONE understand how a bad divorce can "legitimately" cause you to REPEATEDLY break the law if they, themselves, have not been "through it"???? :confused::rolleyes:

FlyingRon

Sorry if I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. I actually (as I said) had compassion for the initial life problems you had that led up to the the suspension. This happens. However, once you get the first DWLS, you started a snowball you seem unwilling to break. Calling me names, isn't going to fix things (and will dissuade the other senior members from offering you any assistance either). The advice given iIS THE LEGAL way to "put this behind you." Until you realize this, it's not going to happen. There's no magic wand that says "ahh, you've had a tough time, not only are we going to forgive your past criminal activity, but we're going to waive our wand and make the laws not apply to you."

I gave you the steps....if you're unable or unwilling to work through them, then you're stuck with the status quo.

HeplerNC

Anyone ith any legal advise? I am not trying to avoid anything or my responsibilties. I do however want to avoid any jail time, keep my job and get back on track with my life.
Sorry if I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. I actually (as I said) had compassion for the initial life problems you had that led up to the the suspension. This happens. However, once you get the first DWLS, you started a snowball you seem unwilling to break. Calling me names, isn't going to fix things (and will dissuade the other senior members from offering you any assistance either). The advice given iIS THE LEGAL way to "put this behind you." Until you realize this, it's not going to happen. There's no magic wand that says "ahh, you've had a tough time, not only are we going to forgive your past criminal activity, but we're going to waive our wand and make the laws not apply to you."

I gave you the steps....if you're unable or unwilling to work through them, then you're stuck with the status quo.

Dave1952

It's a sad story but what help do you want? Your plan is to plead guilty. Sounds reasonable. You plan to throw yourself on the mercy of the court. What? Why should the courts be merciful? You are a repeat offender. I doubt the courts will show you much mercy.
Expect fines. Expect community service. Expect court costs. Perhaps a little jail time but I doubt it. Probation, I'd bet. Since you are being prosecuted in 2 counties try to get unsupervised probation in the non-resident county, at least.
Get a bicycle or moped. Get a circle of good friends.
From your post I can't tell whether your lawyer screwed up on clearing all of your charges or whether you ran out of money before all of the charges were cleared.

Good luck

HeplerNC

Thanks for the input. The lawyer screwed up oroginally when I had the money to resolve the issues. And in no excuse was left to riding it out hoping not to get into any more trouble. Ireally had no other choice but to hope money would change/improve so I could resolve it. One can say there is always choices and breaking the law you shouldn't do. But when you CAN"T do anything else about it at the time you either give up what revenues you are making or crawl up in a hole. There is no excuse and want to put it behind me but jail I do not deserve as the circumstances I was held to, kept me down even when I tried to resolve. Mercy of the court? Hoping for judgement to just consist of fines etc and keep my license
It's a sad story but what help do you want? Your plan is to plead guilty. Sounds reasonable. You plan to throw yourself on the mercy of the court. What? Why should the courts be merciful? You are a repeat offender. I doubt the courts will show you much mercy.
Expect fines. Expect community service. Expect court costs. Perhaps a little jail time but I doubt it. Probation, I'd bet. Since you are being prosecuted in 2 counties try to get unsupervised probation in the non-resident county, at least.
Get a bicycle or moped. Get a circle of good friends.
From your post I can't tell whether your lawyer screwed up on clearing all of your charges or whether you ran out of money before all of the charges were cleared.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">