• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tax exemption/adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hbriggs007

What is the name of your state? KY

My husband and the CP have an agreed order stating that he will be claiming their daughter this year and all odd years. She recently asked my husband to sign over his rights and allow her new husband to adopt. The paperwork is in the process and his lawyer said it could take up to 90 days before finalized. I realize that after this is all said and done, joint custody, child support, agreed orders prior to adoption are dismissed. However, if this is not finalized by the end of this year, will the agreed order for the tax exemption still stand? I would imagine so, but the CP thinks she will be able to claim their child instead of my husband.

Thanks to all replies.

afmom

Yes, all orders remain in placed until tpr/adoption is finalized unless a Judge orders differently. Just as if there is a support order, he needs to continue paying child support until the tpr/adoption is finalized. So as long as there is a court order stating your husband has the right to claim the child this year then he is entitled to do so, assuming the Judge has not signed off to finalize the Order.

M

monnickasmommy

My husband is vtpr--- however he told the cp that he will be claiming the child on his taxes as it was stated in the cs order because he has paid over and beyond the 1200 that is ordered to pay- That is a idea - just see if it works

- I know if your tpr is not done by Dec 31 of this year you CAN claim the child on your taxes and just send the IRS a copy of the court order and if she claims the child she will get a nasty gram from the IRS my husbands ex did .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">