• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax penalities on early withdrawal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SLWright

Wisconsin

I am leaving my current employeer and have a loan out on my profit sharing plan. I have 60 days to pay in full or take penalities. What is penalized?? The origional amount the balance of the loan etc. Also am I also taxed at the end of the year with Income takes.

L

loku

Loan for qualified plan

Unless you pay by the 60 days, you will be subject to a penalty of 10% of the amount of the loan. It is called a penalty for early withdrawal, and it applies to most withdrawals of people who are under 59-1/2.

Also, if you do not repay the loan in the 60 day period, you have to pay income tax on the amount: it is taxable income. Enter the total amount on line 16a of Form 1040 or line 12a of Form 1040A, and on on line 16b of Form 1040 or line 12b of Form 1040A.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">