• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taxfiling/He has temp sole custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rheaowens

I reside in the state of OK. He has had temprary sole custody of our child since Feb 2000. He claimed the dependent for the tax year 1999 even though I was custodial parent and did not sign form 8332. there are no court documents regarding separate maintenance nor custody. I seek advise on how my filing status should be and how can I trigger an IRS audit for 1999 on Him. I strongly feel I can prove I was the custodial parent for 1999. Phone calls to the IRS have been unsuccessful in bringing about a quick investigation and I was informed it could possibly take a few years since this problem is numerous to them. Thank you.

LegalBeagle

rheaowens said:
I reside in the state of OK. He has had temprary sole custody of our child since Feb 2000. He claimed the dependent for the tax year 1999 even though I was custodial parent and did not sign form 8332. there are no court documents regarding separate maintenance nor custody. I seek advise on how my filing status should be and how can I trigger an IRS audit for 1999 on Him. I strongly feel I can prove I was the custodial parent for 1999. Phone calls to the IRS have been unsuccessful in bringing about a quick investigation and I was informed it could possibly take a few years since this problem is numerous to them. Thank you.
All you can do is file your 1999 taxes with you claiming the child. Include all the evidence that the child lived with you. Then wait for the IRS to sort it out. When the IRS sees the problem, they will be in touch and then you will have a name/address to send your concerns to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">