• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teen daughter wants to live with me....HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Kansas

Hi. I was doing some research last night and came across this website. I am at a loss here, so please hear me out if you have time......

I am a Canadian citizen now residing in the US with my husband and young daughter (I am a legal us resident with a green card). I have 3 older children from my first marriage who live in Saskatchewan Canada with my ex husband. I visit there often and the kids came to stay in Kansas with us for a month over the summer. We have a very close relationship despite the distance. I have always prided myself in keeping in close contact and not losing that bond with my children. My exhusband was miserable to me, making my life hell basically and that is why I left. He had money for good attorney's and ultimately lied and won everything......anyway, moving on to the question...

my daughter Brittany is almost 15 years old, she is my biological child but not my exhusbands, I had her before I even met him. Well, the judge granted him custody of my children, including her even though she is not his biological child and he never adopted her. She now is very resentful of him for taking her away from me, she is having a hard time living with him and misses being with me. She cries on the phone with me almost nightly because she wants to live with me. SHe feels as though she was ripped away from her roots and is missing out on time with her biological parent. We want to know at what age a child can say where they want to live. She is a very mature young lady, very smart and coherant about everything that is going on and that has gone on. My ex has been saying some very nasty things to her lately and she basically just lives alone in his basement. We are all very concerned for her, we want to get her out of that house.

I am wondering what the first steps are that we need to take action and try to obtain custody of her, if things dont change she will most likely just leave on her own.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.




Senior Member
Unfortunately, your jurisdiction is back in Canada where your ex has the power (apparently). For him to get custody of a child that was not even his...there has to be much more to the story.

I empathize with you, but other than having her illegally cross the border and be harbored by you (again illegally) the only way to get her into your home is to have your ex agree and bring her, or go back to court and win her back. In Canada.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential