• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Telephone visitation interference .. . is this enough to gain custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeC.

What is the name of your state? CA I'm NCP and have a current order for physical visitation (80%CP, 20%NCP). CP (my ex-wife) and I have been having difficulties since she found out I have a girlfriend. She refuses to answer her home phone (the only contact telephone I have), so I can't speak to our daughter. The order is silent (no mention) of telephone visitation, but this is becoming a BIG problem. NCP is now saying (though her attorney) that I'm harassing her. I just want to talk to my kids. To give a complete picture, there's been no interference in physical visitation. I have recently filed for modification of child support (asking for reduction due to lower income) and have a disputed arrearage claim for $60k against me (hearing with DCSS in less than one week). My question is . . . is the parental interference (about 6 months now) of denying me telephone contact with our daughter considered enough change of circumstance to request change in custody (730 eval)?

BelizeBreeze

MikeC. said:
What is the name of your state? CA I'm NCP and have a current order for physical visitation (80%CP, 20%NCP). CP (my ex-wife) and I have been having difficulties since she found out I have a girlfriend. She refuses to answer her home phone (the only contact telephone I have), so I can't speak to our daughter. The order is silent (no mention) of telephone visitation, but this is becoming a BIG problem. NCP is now saying (though her attorney) that I'm harassing her. I just want to talk to my kids. To give a complete picture, there's been no interference in physical visitation. I have recently filed for modification of child support (asking for reduction due to lower income) and have a disputed arrearage claim for $60k against me (hearing with DCSS in less than one week). My question is . . . is the parental interference (about 6 months now) of denying me telephone contact with our daughter considered enough change of circumstance to request change in custody (730 eval)?
Nope, not enough.

MikeC.

She won't even speak to me. So I will be forced to pay my attorney to go to court and modify the court order. Can I file contempt charges? Can get legal fees because of the repeated denial of contact? This woman is driving me straight to the poor house . . . HELP, please!!!

snostar

No, you can't even file contempt. You can file for a modification though requesting phone contact to be court ordered.

T

titansfan

nope

if you dont have an order for telephone vistation, then shes not interfering-its only when she interferes with physical visitation that you can do anything.how many times are you calling? maybe you are calling way too much, and making a pest of yourself. be careful about that, or she may be able to get a restraining order against you preventing you from calling at all.

casa

MikeC. said:
Good news: child support and visitation are two different animals. '

Bad news: WHY are you &60 in arrearages?

More bad news: In CA telephonic contact should be addressed in your court papers- if it's not then you should file in court to modify your visitation agreement to reflect that. ie; without orders specifying you should have telephone contact at x time and x date - don't expect it to happen.

Re; the harrasment- how many times per day/week have you called? Does it meet 'harrassment' guidelines?

Give more specific information and you will get more specific answers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">