• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Telling parents about unwanted child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I made a girl pregnant (by accident) and she ended up having the baby. I made it clear from the moment she told me that I did not want the child and I feel no connection to the child, therefore have not felt the urge to tell my parents, however she is insisting that i tell them or she will come to my door and tell them herself.

What can i do? Does she have the right to come to my house and tell them?

LdiJ

I made a girl pregnant (by accident) and she ended up having the baby. I made it clear from the moment she told me that I did not want the child and I feel no connection to the child, therefore have not felt the urge to tell my parents, however she is insisting that i tell them or she will come to my door and tell them herself.

Sure she does. I suspect that your parents would also want to know that they had a grandchild.

Sure she does. I suspect that your parents would also want to know that they had a grandchild.
That is a fair point. Without sounding selfish or rude, but I just don't want this situation to ruin my life...I mean I told her my thoughts and have made them quite clear however she seems to be still trying to enforce that my parents knowing about the child will affect my decision on partaking in the child's life. I've told her my thoughts and I won't be involved so I don't see why it's so important for her that my parents know. Thoughts?

PayrollHRGuy

Is there some reason you posted the same question twice.

If you don't see it in the other thread.

I'm pretty sure your parents will find out when she or the state sues you for child support.

LdiJ

That is a fair point. Without sounding selfish or rude, but I just don't want this situation to ruin my life...I mean I told her my thoughts and have made them quite clear however she seems to be still trying to enforce that my parents knowing about the child will affect my decision on partaking in the child's life. I've told her my thoughts and I won't be involved so I don't see why it's so important for her that my parents know. Thoughts?
Its important because it will likely be important to them. Honestly? Your thoughts are irrelevant to anyone except yourself.

Just Blue

How does one accidently create a child? How did your sperm accidently land in her uterus? Do you have biologically different conception laws in your unknown state (What state are you in Mark?) ?

After a DNA test that establishes you as the father, you will be legally obligated to provide child support for this child. If you choose to not have a relationship...well...that's on you. Your parents may, unlike you, wish to know and love this baby. That is none of your business and out of your control. Why you would be so adamant against your parents having a loving relationship with their GC is odd. Unless, perhaps, their love for the child makes you feel like a POS for abandoning the life you created.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She can tell anyone she wants to. She can take out a billboard on the interstate if she wants to. What makes you think the law would stop her from making a truthful statement?

Also, just because you don't want the child, don't feel a connection to the child and are more concerned with whether it ruins your life than if you've ruined hers (and the baby's) doesn't mean you won't be held legally responsible by the court to support it.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Unless there is a restraining order, there is no legal reason why she would not be allowed to contact any person and inform them that you are the father of her child.

What you can do: you do not have to have a relationship (visitation/parenting time) with your child. However, if Mom gets your paternity established, legally, then she can also get a court order for child support. And what you can do is pay court ordered child support.

Note: if you refuse to show up at court, or blow off getting a court ordered DNA test, you can be found, legally, to be the father by default.

Perhaps she will eventually meet a nice, loving man who marries her and wants to adopt the child. Then you would no longer be the legal father. However, not all stepfathers choose to do that (for a variety of reasons).

You've told her your thoughts: that you don't want a relationship with her or the child. Fine. Therefore, it's really none of your business what she does. That includes introducing herself to your parents and telling them that they have a grandchild.

Now, I suspect that your concern is that your parents might react negatively to you having fathered a child. Or perhaps it is that you fathered a child with someone that they would not approve of. Perhaps you would prefer that your parents think of you as a "nice" guy, who doesn't "accidentally" have sex with people.

I suspect, having known you for your entire life, that they have some idea of what you are capable of.

commentator

Yes, how old are you? How old is the girl? As in, are you an adult yet? Is she? What state are you in? How long ago was it that she "ended up having the baby"?

Children are not conceived accidentally. Once you have decided to have sex, or had sex accidentally, whatever, you are not off the hook if conception occurs until the child is of age. If she ever asks for any kind of state funded assistance, it will not be her choice, the state will come to you for child support. Your parents need to know about this possibility. It makes lots of sense for them to be aware of it, especially if you are still being supported by them.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

It is sad you are pathetic with a cock. Please amputate your cock at the soonest point possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">