• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant lied to the person who sublet his apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cikiz

New York / New York
6 months ago, I was looking for a new place to leave in the New York City. I met with these family who has been tenant for a rent stabilized apartment. Due to the increase in their family size, they were no longer be able to live in this property and either they had to break their lease (their lease wasn’t expiring 6 more months), or find another temporary tenant (me in this case) who was willing to take the apartment and continue to payments of the rent for the remaining months. The following was the agreement between them and me:
1. I paid 1st and the last months rent and the deposit with a premium. In calculation: 1st months rent+ last months rent+ deposit (extra I month rent) + Premium (extra $1,200)
2. In return of the extra payments, they promised to extend the lease one more year after it initially expires so I can continue to pay the lower rental payments.

We have made a 1 pager agreement between us and stated the above conditions.

Everything was great until one month before the initial lease expired. 5 weeks before the lease expiration date, the original tenant told me that they decided not to extend the lease as they promised me (in writing as well). They know for sure that I wouldn’t rent their place and paid them all that cash in advance if they weren’t going to extend the lease for one more year. They contacted the landlord without my knowledge and informed the landlord that they were not going to extend their lease any more, and there was a friend (me in this case) of theirs staying in their property who is willing to take over the lease.

Off course landlord was ok with this situation. Right away he told me that the new rent will be $500 more per month. Although, I had to clean up the apartment (painted, and fixed some areas) and took it as is when I got it, Landlord was careless about the fact he didn’t have to put another dime before renting it again. If I look at it from landlord’s perspective, his benefits are:
1. Increased rent
2. No Vacancy in between the tenants
3. No Repair Cost in between the tenants. After all, the initial tenant had lived there over 8 years.
Unfortunately, because of my current personal situation, I cannot find another place and move, therefore I have to accept their terms. I was just wondering if I have any rights against to the landlord that will give me more negotiation power, and also if I have any rights against to the tenant who broke our agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">