• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant paying common area lighting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kollsc

Las Vegas - NV.

Last night by turning on/off the breakers in my apartment, I determined that I am, without prior knowledge, paying for the exterior light fixture at the top of the stairs that serve 2 apartments.

All units have exterior entrances. There are two apartments per set of stairs. I am the apartment directly at the top of the stairs and have noticed that my neighbor can turn their "porch" light off, but I can not. There is no switch in my apt to turn off this light, but turning off the breaker will turn off the light.

There are +600 units in total at the complex. I'm pretty certain that every tenant that is at the top of each set of stairs is paying for the light in their area without their knowledge.

I have a 12 month lease, and after 6 mths an opportunity to relocate to Phoenix has come open with my company. Since I requested the relocation, my company is not paying relo. I have to pay out of pocket.

I sent in a notice to vacated on 3/31/03 with a vacate date of 4/30/03. Since there are 6,000 per month that moves to Las Vegas, I thought my landlord would work with me a bit.

They want either a $2500 cancellation fee + payback "discount " of $65/mth for 6 mths + misc cleaning fees of $300 +/- OR continue to pay $800/mth until the apt is rented. I think they do have several vacancies because the snow birds are leaving.

I think they are sticking it to me. Anything I can do to get out of this lease? Is it not true that the Landlord has to pay all common area lighting? Can I use this for negotiating power?

Thank you,

kollsc

HomeGuru

kollsc said:
Las Vegas - NV.

Last night by turning on/off the breakers in my apartment, I determined that I am, without prior knowledge, paying for the exterior light fixture at the top of the stairs that serve 2 apartments.

All units have exterior entrances. There are two apartments per set of stairs. I am the apartment directly at the top of the stairs and have noticed that my neighbor can turn their "porch" light off, but I can not. There is no switch in my apt to turn off this light, but turning off the breaker will turn off the light.

There are +600 units in total at the complex. I'm pretty certain that every tenant that is at the top of each set of stairs is paying for the light in their area without their knowledge.

I have a 12 month lease, and after 6 mths an opportunity to relocate to Phoenix has come open with my company. Since I requested the relocation, my company is not paying relo. I have to pay out of pocket.

I sent in a notice to vacated on 3/31/03 with a vacate date of 4/30/03. Since there are 6,000 per month that moves to Las Vegas, I thought my landlord would work with me a bit.

They want either a $2500 cancellation fee + payback "discount " of $65/mth for 6 mths + misc cleaning fees of $300 +/- OR continue to pay $800/mth until the apt is rented. I think they do have several vacancies because the snow birds are leaving.

I think they are sticking it to me. Anything I can do to get out of this lease? Is it not true that the Landlord has to pay all common area lighting? Can I use this for negotiating power?

Thank you,

kollsc
**A: L can follow the default provisions in the lease and the L/T law. You can counter by bringing up the common area lighting issue. Hire an electrician to checck it out and give you a written report. Calculate the estimated cost of the electric for this common area light for the duration of your lease term and send a certified rrr letter requesting a credit and requested that L separate the common area lighting from all tenant apartment load centers and install/connect to an existing common area load center with a timer.

L

louiebingo

I thought my landlord would work with me a bit.

YOU will learn from this experience grasshopper...

NEVER think a landlord will help you out, until the landlord signs the paper!

You broke the lease, you got a discounted rent...who should pay for that?

You just cost yourself a lot of money, and yes the landlord will rent out your apartment, but he has NO INCENTIVE to rent it out first becuase ....

YOU ARE MOVING out of the area....DUH!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">