• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant vacated but left vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zliminator

What is the name of your state? Florida - my tenant moved out voluntarily but left his truck and said he would come back to fix it. I left him a note while he was in the process of moving that said I wanted him to leave soon, but he could come back to work on his truck at his own convienience. How long could that be interpreted by legally, say if after 2 or 3 months I would have it towed? I am going to try to get ahold of him even though he never left a forwarding address or number. Thanks to anyone who can leave a detailed response.

LL

HomeGuru

zliminator said:
What is the name of your state? Florida - my tenant moved out voluntarily but left his truck and said he would come back to fix it. I left him a note while he was in the process of moving that said I wanted him to leave soon, but he could come back to work on his truck at his own convienience. How long could that be interpreted by legally, say if after 2 or 3 months I would have it towed? I am going to try to get ahold of him even though he never left a forwarding address or number. Thanks to anyone who can leave a detailed response.

LL
**A: five years.

zliminator

That's great

That's great! What if it gets broke into? I guess I'm responsible for that.

I think I can get a hold of him and I will try that, but I was just wondering, thanks.

J

Jeani

What I would do:

Send a certified letter (return receipt requested) to the address of your rental he vacated since he likely submitted a change of address with the post office which is effective for six months. Give him ten business days from receipt of your letter to contact you regarding disposition of the vehicle. Be sure to keep the return receipt or returned letter as proof of your attempt to contact him.

If you don't get a response from him, call the local police department and ask what length of time must pass to consider it an "abandoned" vehicle. I have no clue what that would be in FL but in GA an inoperable vehicle or one with expired tags may be towed from private property after 24 hours by the property owner without notice to the vehicle owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">