• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenants and drug use???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhmva

What is the name of your state? VA
Single family home rented to 3 tenants, all on lease. lease clearly states no illiegal activity, including but not limited to narcotics..... gave permission in writing to all one tenant of ther choice to reside in home during June - September - did not have that person sign a seperate lease with us as was treated as a sublease that we gave permission to our tenants to do for up to one adult.
Tenant # 1 has called us becuase she is uncomforatabel with sublet tenants friends that come over and use illegal substances. Tenant #1 also states that Tenant #2 is equally concerned and they both want him gone. Tenant #3 is OF COURSE...sublet tenants girllfriend..
1) what if anything, action do i need to take? I am viewing this as a tenant issue to get rid of the subletter on their own but have concerns about possible seizure of property if drug use is found/destruction of property if they tell him to leave, etc...
2) Since i have been made aware of this activity, or at least one version of the story am i responsible to take any action or loose my right to evict on this grounds if they are unable to handle this themselves?

Yes, I am a first time landlord...

acmb05

jhmva said:
What is the name of your state? VA
Single family home rented to 3 tenants, all on lease. lease clearly states no illiegal activity, including but not limited to narcotics..... gave permission in writing to all one tenant of ther choice to reside in home during June - September - did not have that person sign a seperate lease with us as was treated as a sublease that we gave permission to our tenants to do for up to one adult.
Tenant # 1 has called us becuase she is uncomforatabel with sublet tenants friends that come over and use illegal substances. Tenant #1 also states that Tenant #2 is equally concerned and they both want him gone. Tenant #3 is OF COURSE...sublet tenants girllfriend..
1) what if anything, action do i need to take? I am viewing this as a tenant issue to get rid of the subletter on their own but have concerns about possible seizure of property if drug use is found/destruction of property if they tell him to leave, etc...
2) Since i have been made aware of this activity, or at least one version of the story am i responsible to take any action or loose my right to evict on this grounds if they are unable to handle this themselves?

Yes, I am a first time landlord...
The subletter is a month to month tenant and you have to evict him as such according to your LL/T laws of your state. If he causes any damage during this time you can then sue him for those damages.

Keep in mind that if you evict him you can also then get a trespass warning on him and if he comes back on the property he can be arrested, even if he is envited on the property by his girlfriend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">