• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants swingset

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state?
Good Ole' Mass!

Here is the situation: We are renting an apartment in an owner occupied two family house. The property is the only one with a yard in the neighborhood. The owner has an open invite to the kids from the neighborhood to use the yard. We were aware of the invitation prior to moving in and actually welcome it as we have kids of our own. The question is regarding our swingset. The landlord gave permission for us to install it and we have given the kids, that are under 100 lbs, permission to use it. Who is legally liable if someone gets hurt on our swingset? Is it a renters insurance issue? We do not have R/I...however considering! If it is our liability, then what type of coverage should we entertain getting?
Thanks in Advance,


Senior Member
Your best bet is to contact your auto insurance co and ask them if they have renters ins , and if so explain your situation . You and the other tenant have every right to deny others from the neighborhood any use of your yard since you 2 are the tenants BUT since you know the swingset is a attractive nuisance (bad spell ??) if some one were hurt it would be best to have your own coverage . LET ALONE the fact that if you were burned out in a fire your lack of insurance will hurt your family . Renters Ins Is alot cheaper than homeowners coverage . If your curious about your liability tap the links up top for finding a Attorney OR use the talk with a lawyer feature and the Lawyer can explain to you your risk about lawsuits from injury that occurs from the swing set
Last edited:


I Hope This Is Helpful

My state is NY. I am not familiar with insurance in Mass, but you should always have renters insurance no matter what state you live in to protect your own personal possessions and to protect you from liability claims against you.

As FarmerJ suggested, contact your present insurance company and inquire about renters insurance. I would pay particular attention to the limit of liability. Your insurance agent can explain the terms to you and can also explain what is and isn't covered. If the agent doesn't know, ask the agent to please find out.

You can look in the phone book and call several insurance agencies and get a few quotes.


Senior Member
With renter's insurance I suggest getting a minimun of $300K. And up your med pay to $2000! Usually only cost an extra $12 a yr. Less than a dollar a month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential