• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenent legal rights when landlord sells house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

greenigirl108

My husband and I currently live in a 2 family house in NYC-queens location, and as of 2 months ago our landlord told us the house was on the market to be sold. Since then we have searched for a house and even another apartment to rent with no luck. This past week he now tells us that the house is being sold, he has a buyer going into contract and we need to leave. He has not stated when (no date was given) nor has he given us any options at this point, only "we need to leave". We have 2 young boys, one is in school in the area and we need to try to stay local. What are our legal rights in this matter? How much time, as well as, notice does he need to give us to move?? Can he just evict us? And, do we need to pay this months rent if we might be leaving mid month?? Someone told me he needs to give us first & last months rent??
Sincerely, Kelly H.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Answer depends on type of lease agreement you have. There are different ways to terminate tenancies.

I'm in Nassau County, NY. If you like, telephone for free consult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">