• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas: Child support between two mothers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

David.AshleyG

I live in Texas and I am paying child support for my son. I have another baby on the way, different mother. How will Texas figure out my child support? Will my child support on my son change? Do I have to go back to court to reevaluate the child support for my son now that I have a new child?

LdiJ

I live in Texas and I am paying child support for my son. I have another baby on the way, different mother. How will Texas figure out my child support? Will my child support on my son change? Do I have to go back to court to reevaluate the child support for my son now that I have a new child?
When the support you pay for your new child is calculated, they will deduct the amount of support that you pay for your son, from your total income, before applying the percentage.

So, if you make 2k a month, and you pay 400.00 for your first child, then the amount they will use to calculate your CS for your second child would be 1600.00.

Gracie3787

When the support you pay for your new child is calculated, they will deduct the amount of support that you pay for your son, from your total income, before applying the percentage.

So, if you make 2k a month, and you pay 400.00 for your first child, then the amount they will use to calculate your CS for your second child would be 1600.00.
Just to clarify for the OP- your first CS order won't change because of having another child.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Nope. Your son has the same needs whether you have more kids or not.

mistoffolees

Nope. Your son has the same needs whether you have more kids or not.
Exactly. The court assumes that you won't have any more kids unless you can afford them - after paying all of your existing obligations.

Unfortunately, that's not always a good assumption. :rolleyes:

garrula lingua

That's absolute BullS$@$, Ldij.
From where did you come up with that ??

OP, when your second child is born, if the Court uses guideline c/s, they will take your gross income, use the Attorney General's Tax Tables to credit you with Income and SS taxes, and reach a net income figure.
They will calculate Medical Support, based on UP TO 9% of your gross income, (4.5% if you have a second child @ home or court-ordered to support), and they will deduct the m/s amt from the net income. Then they will use 17.5% of the adjusted net to arrive at the amount of child support due for the second child.
If you request a modification on the first child's c/s, it will be calculated the same way: up to 4.5% of gross for m/s, then 17.5% of the adjusted net for c/s due.
As an example, a minimum wage worker (7.25 an hour) with two children would pay 57 a month in medical support and 185 a month in c/s, for a total current monthly payment of 242. for your second child.
If the first child had been calculated at min. wage (7.25) it would have been 113. a month in m/s and 200. month c/s for a total month of 313.00 {if this were modified after the second child was born (& living in your house or an order for support issued by the Court), then it would be 57 & 185 for a total of 242.

So, using minimum wage as an example, the c/s & m/s which was previously ordered by the Court would be reduced by 71. a month. These figures would vary, as medical support can be UP TO 9% of gross (for all his kids, combined), but many attys & AAGs reduce that percentage to 4.5%.

BUT, OP, when an Obligor (you) asks for a modification on the first child's support, frequently the amount of support goes UP. Your salary is usually higher, or you are working overtime, or you just got a break on m/s the first time. Be careful - you may not want to modify case #1.

LDIJ, why did you say the amount of a prior order is deducted from gross pay ?? Texas doesn't do that.

I'm a licensed attorney in Texas and I admit that I have litigated thousands of these cases - destroying the American dream one family at a time (that's Family Law).

David.AshleyG

Thank you garrula lingua.
I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing. I want to set up child support for my child that is on the way. I was told I can’t do that till the baby is born. I am currently married can I still set up child support? I am trying to make everything secure and help the mother’s I want to do everything I can and make everything legalized through the court. Do I have any options?

garrula lingua

Thank you garrula lingua.
I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing. I want to set up child support for my child that is on the way. I was told I can’t do that till the baby is born. I am currently married can I still set up child support? I am trying to make everything secure and help the mother’s I want to do everything I can and make everything legalized through the court. Do I have any options?
David, if you are living with the mother and the child, a court can't/shouldn't order you to pay c/s. There is a presumption that if you are in the household, you are supporting the child.

If you and mom are not together (whether married or not - doesn't matter), then you can set up c/s (and medical support is also mandatory) for your new baby, after the baby is born.

The easiest way to do it, is to contact the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) (google OAG Texas, for their website). You can fill out an application online, or go to your local c/s office.
I would not sign an Acknowledgment of Paternity at the hospital if I were a new father.

I am a strong believer in DNA testing - no offense to anyone involved; it's just insurance that, at a later date, no one can claim that baby is not yours.
The OAG will do Paternity testing for free - no charge.

The OAG can do the Paternity testing at their office (cheek swabs), and they can complete the order establishing Paternity, child support, medical support, and (hopefully, Joint Managing Conservatorship) conservatorship. and 'possession and access' (visitation - usually Standard Possession Orders).

You may want to think whether you want to ask for a 'geographical restriction' to your county and contiguous counties (touching counties) or to Texas (the norm which the OAG uses is no geographical restriction, so Mom can move away from Texas without restriction unless you file a Motion at that time).

Unless you disagree with a term in the proposed Order (Child Support Review Order - Paternity), there is no need to go to court. Y'all sign at the OAG and the Order is sent to court for the IV-D Judge to sign.

Just be sure the order covers your needs and has correctly calculated your c/s and m/s.

Good luck.

Last edited:

David.AshleyG

Thank you garrula lingua
You have been a big help. I will do that. Just wish I didn’t have to wait tell the baby was born. We will have so much on our hands with a new baby would like to get it over with.

happybug

I am a bit confused. Is the woman you are married to, the mother of either of the children? If so, are you married to the mother of child #1 or child #2?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If a father does not sign the Acknowledgment of Paternity at the hospital, when the mother files for child support, will the father be required to pay back child support?
DO NOT HI JACK OTHER PEOPLE'S THREADS. Start your own.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If a father does not sign the Acknowledgment of Paternity at the hospital, when the mother files for child support, will the father be required to pay back child support?
Please keep your questions in your own thread, thank you.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/child-support-98/child-support-texas-619381.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">