• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Small Claims Suit by Credit Union

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darlinshere

Rec'd citation for Small Claim Suit by my former credit union for non-payment of a credit card. I went into default due to divorce that financially ruined me. During the divorce, I requested help and patience from them as I was a long time customer who paid off many loans with them over the years. Their response to me was to lower my credit line significantly and raise my interest rate.
I was advised by a bankruptcy lawyer to file an answer stating they filed in the wrong jurisdiction, the amount was erroneous, and that by Texas law, as a credit union they could not legally sue me in small claims court. The court answered by setting a non-jury trial.
Why would they do that if credit unions are not allowed to sue via small claims? I am not sure what to do now. I can not repay this loan at this time and in fact am about to lose my house too.
I see now that I probably should have kept the card and let the house go but I didn't know what to do and thought keeping the house and preventing foreclosure was the best thing to do. Can someone give me an idea of what to do...because I have no clue.
I suspect by the actions of the credit union employee who is pursuing this, they are trying to get a judgement so they can start stalking my bank accts and steal the little money I get to live on.

Antigone*

Rec'd citation for Small Claim Suit by my former credit union for non-payment of a credit card. I went into default due to divorce that financially ruined me. During the divorce, I requested help and patience from them as I was a long time customer who paid off many loans with them over the years. Their response to me was to lower my credit line significantly and raise my interest rate.
I was advised by a bankruptcy lawyer to file an answer stating they filed in the wrong jurisdiction, the amount was erroneous, and that by Texas law, as a credit union they could not legally sue me in small claims court. The court answered by setting a non-jury trial.
Why would they do that if credit unions are not allowed to sue via small claims? I am not sure what to do now. I can not repay this loan at this time and in fact am about to lose my house too.
I see now that I probably should have kept the card and let the house go but I didn't know what to do and thought keeping the house and preventing foreclosure was the best thing to do. Can someone give me an idea of what to do...because I have no clue.
I suspect by the actions of the credit union employee who is pursuing this, they are trying to get a judgement so they can start stalking my bank accts and steal the little money I get to live on.

How dare they!!! There should be a law against stalking:mad: and what the heck ever happened to thou shalt not steal!!!:mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">