• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The bank made errors on my home loan modification that cost me over $100. Are they required to reimburse me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CitaLC

First of all, for clarification, I am in Pennsylvania but my bank is in Ohio (they moved their mortgage services out of state so I have no way to see them in person).

I was doing a loan modification for my home mortgage and at the end of the process, I had to have a large packet of papers notarized and sent to my bank. I did this, but had to redo the notary 4 times due to bank errors. I have the letters from the bank stating that they made an error for at least one of those times. As a result of this, I had to pay over $100 in extra notary fees.

Right when this happened, I contacted the bank and was told that if I sent in my receipts, I would be reimbursed. Unfortunately, I only have the name of the customer service person I talked to, but not the name of the supervisor who told her I would be reimbursed.

Since then, I have talked to the same customer service rep multiple times and have even exchanged emails with her....at all times with the understanding that I would be reimbursed.

Today however, I called the bank to check the status of my reimbursement (it has been a few weeks since initial confirmation) and was told that the bank does not do reimbursements. Supposedly this message came from a supervisor and the same rep I talked to multiple times before...but was relayed by a new person. I was not allowed to talk to the same rep as before...

I am now frustrated and feeling lied to. Do I have any legal recourse or agency I can turn to for support? The bank made errors that cost me money, told me I would be paid back, and now after waiting the time they asked me to and sending them copies of my receipts as requested...they seem to be pretending that they never agreed to pay me back.

Is there anyone who oversees bank behavior in cases like this? Is there any agency I can report to or who can help me make the bank keep their agreement?

adjusterjack

Your option is to sue the bank in small claims court for your $100 and even then there is no guarantee that you will win as there is probably some sort of disclaimer in your loan application/contract that you agreed to.

Beyond that, consider it a cost of modifying your loan and get over it.

I would send a qualified written request, request for information, notice of error under RESPA. Most servicers have a designated address for this. If they fail to respond within the timeline, you may be able to sue for damages. While you're writing, you want to also ask for an amortization schedule showing all payments and a complete payment history. Servicers often misapply payments.

PayrollHRGuy

I would send a qualified written request, request for information, notice of error under RESPA. Most servicers have a designated address for this. If they fail to respond within the timeline, you may be able to sue for damages. While you're writing, you want to also ask for an amortization schedule showing all payments and a complete payment history. Servicers often misapply payments.
This thread is a month and a half old with no sign the OP ever returned. Please don't necropost.

quincy

CitaLC was last seen on this forum the day this thread was created on February 1 so your post is unlikely to be read by CitaLC.

In addition, there appears to be no lawsuit worth the cost of pursuing. "Damages" apparently are limited to the extra $100 in notary fees CitaCL had to spend but CitaCL does not have receipts that show these costs.

Please look at posting dates and current post activity before responding to a thread. Old threads should only be revived by the original poster.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">