• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The downside of separation without the formalities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

No ... obviously! Why would anyone in their right mind want to do that!! At least, you should assume that people you don't know whom you meet for the first time on the net are well intentioned and sane, before you make offensive and unfriendly statements like "...please don't waste any more time (yours or ours) here."
Your statement came very much across like you were only interested in hearing what you wanted to hear. Your responses to me somewhat came across the same way.

You may be a Notary but you don't have the commonsense that nobody wants to waste their own time, especially those who take the time to register, write their questions properly and are replying decently. In fact, you are the one who wasted your own and others' time by posting the irrelevant reply on why a court sign off helps as opposed to notarization (despite you being a notary and despite the fact that I had clarified in the post before why it helps)!
I am a notary too. The only purpose of a notary is to verify that the person signing a document is actually that person. While that is a significant thing when it comes to contracts and many other legal matters, its not very relevant at all in family law matters.

We are trying to understand what you are wanting to do sufficiently enough to give you truly useful advice. You really do not seem to be interested in anything other than hearing what you want to hear, despite what you say.

I do not mean that in a rude or snarky way. Neither did anyone else who responded to you.

befriend

Your statement came very much across like you were only interested in hearing what you wanted to hear. Your responses to me somewhat came across the same way.
I think we need to understand and appreciate that people who come to such forums for advice, particularly on family matters and more so in cases of divorce/separation, are *ultra* sensitive to revealing their own identities in any way. I am not trying to hide my identity to do anything wrong or cause harm to anyone but rather as a matter of privacy in the case of a married couple. And it is not to hide the identity from any of you who do not know me or my spouse (neither do I know you) but from any possibility that one of my family members (even extended ones) ever comes across my lines on this forum anytime in the future. If you do not know, Google and Internet are powerful cataloging repositories that can save and search trillions of lines of information in fraction of a second, thus common lines or themes -- if they are unique enough -- can bring together information that was sent by one person in 7 billion people on the planet.

Had I revealed more specific information as to the reason for unequal division of assets, it would surely have provided unique information that is extremely uncommon, thereby revealing my identity to my friends/family who know our specific case (were they ever to encounter this post on the net).

The only purpose of a notary is to verify that the person signing a document is actually that person.
Respectfully, you are mistaken that I was disagreeing on the topic of notarization. The offending lines started from Zigner when this person commented on the new subject about unequal division of assets and didn't like my message that I would consult an attorney if I didn't get a satisfactory answer here. (Not getting a satisfactory answer could be due to the above privacy reason where I may choose to disclose information to a hired attorney but not on this public forum.)

While that is a significant thing when it comes to contracts and many other legal matters, its not very relevant at all in family law matters.
This makes perfect sense and is a very intelligent reply. The other notary could not reply this smartly; in fact, couldn't even read the thread properly.

You really do not seem to be interested in anything other than hearing what you want to hear, despite what you say.
I hope you now understand that the above is not true and why. Cheers.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The long and the short of it is that the only way to ensure that an agreement is at all enforceable is by going through court. A notarized agreement, a spit and a handshake, etc, - not legally enforceable. But have at it.

befriend

Can my child over 21 serve the forms?

In the separation process, FL-107-INFO (California) step 2. says that "Someone 18 or older" needs to serve the spouse ("respondent") the paperwork from the other spouse filing for separation ("petitioner").

Can this form be served by one of our children who is now over 18?

Thanks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
In the separation process, FL-107-INFO (California) step 2. says that "Someone 18 or older" needs to serve the spouse ("respondent") the paperwork from the other spouse filing for separation ("petitioner").

Thanks.
I certainly wouldn't put one of my kids in that position.

Just Blue

Thanks.
That's a horrid idea. Why on earth would you even think of asking one of your children to serve his/her father?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think we need to understand and appreciate that people who come to such forums for advice, particularly on family matters and more so in cases of divorce/separation, are *ultra* sensitive to revealing their own identities in any way.
That's a perfect reason to stop wasting our time and simply go to an attorney. The attorney cannot reveal your private information.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are dreaming or more likely, you can't understand plain English. I had welcomed the first responder who said notarization is not as effective (if you read the thanks I said to that person).

I will ignore further posts from YOU as you appear to just want to increase your post count without regard to the quality of your posts. Besides, you have a hot mind for no reason. :D
I am an attorney and Zigner was correct in what he was stating. YOU do not understand plain English or what you were being told. You need to hire counsel because you have NO common sense.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I think we need to understand and appreciate that people who come to such forums for advice, particularly on family matters and more so in cases of divorce/separation, are *ultra* sensitive to revealing their own identities in any way. I am not trying to hide my identity to do anything wrong or cause harm to anyone but rather as a matter of privacy in the case of a married couple. And it is not to hide the identity from any of you who do not know me or my spouse (neither do I know you) but from any possibility that one of my family members (even extended ones) ever comes across my lines on this forum anytime in the future. If you do not know, Google and Internet are powerful cataloging repositories that can save and search trillions of lines of information in fraction of a second, thus common lines or themes -- if they are unique enough -- can bring together information that was sent by one person in 7 billion people on the planet.

Had I revealed more specific information as to the reason for unequal division of assets, it would surely have provided unique information that is extremely uncommon, thereby revealing my identity to my friends/family who know our specific case (were they ever to encounter this post on the net).

Respectfully, you are mistaken that I was disagreeing on the topic of notarization. The offending lines started from Zigner when this person commented on the new subject about unequal division of assets and didn't like my message that I would consult an attorney if I didn't get a satisfactory answer here. (Not getting a satisfactory answer could be due to the above privacy reason where I may choose to disclose information to a hired attorney but not on this public forum.)

This makes perfect sense and is a very intelligent reply. The other notary could not reply this smartly; in fact, couldn't even read the thread properly.

I hope you now understand that the above is not true and why. Cheers.
I don't agree with LD normally. But you are still wrong. You are mistaken in your whole outlook. HIRE COUNSEL.

HRZ

OP...do you perform your own dental extractions ...well my guess about all you have posted is that you have better odds at painless personal dental extractions than you do at getting this amicable separation "right" ...if it's not entered as an order it may the legal strength of wet toilet paper and We have no clue about your personal reservations about your details ..but odds are 99.8 ofmfolksmdont care...and uoundont care about the other 0.2 %..... but it gets scary when you address unequal distributions ....F you think you have it right ..and close,to balanced...get it,entered as order....but read the old proverb here 99 times first...he who has himself as a client has a fool for a client.

BTW do you mean a separation or a divorce?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">