• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The last three days have been a zoo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davew9128

Yep, What I should have done is prepared my taxes back in April (or earlier), because I actually have a tidy refund coming from the feds.
What's happening now though is that a lot of people who filed during the normal period expecting refunds are having their returns held up.

LdiJ

What's happening now though is that a lot of people who filed during the normal period expecting refunds are having their returns held up.
Yes, anyone who filed a paper return, an amended return, or had an electronic return pulled for review are experiencing horrific delays. We just had information come back from the IRS that all of those people should expect to receive responses or refunds no earlier than 12-16 weeks from August 1st. So, a lot of people won't see their refunds until near the end of the year.

bcr229

Yes, anyone who filed a paper return, an amended return, or had an electronic return pulled for review are experiencing horrific delays. We just had information come back from the IRS that all of those people should expect to receive responses or refunds no earlier than 12-16 weeks from August 1st. So, a lot of people won't see their refunds until near the end of the year.
Sigh... Merry Christmas to me then...

aldaron

We expected to be crazy busy for the first two weeks in July, but we expected to be less busy than we normally would be for the first two weeks in April. We had this idea because people had had so much extra time to file, and we were doing so many returns in May and June, that we thought it would be less hectic.

Oh my god we were SOOOO wrong. This is the busiest end of tax season we have ever seen, and yesterday we had to triage a lot of returns to see who we could file extensions for without causing them any late paying penalties. We NEVER do that. With the rare exception, we always complete and file every return given to us by the deadline. Extensions are filed when the client requests them, but not because we can't get the work done.

I logged 25 returns on Tuesday. That is the highest number of returns that I have ever logged in a single day. Wednesday was heavy too, we still had people trying to drop off documents at 6pm last night. I expect to continue to be really busy for the rest of the week doing all the mop ups.
25 in 1 day? You need to stop doing 1040EZ returns and switch to 1040A's, that's where the money is. Work smart not hard!

LdiJ

25 in 1 day? You need to stop doing 1040EZ returns and switch to 1040A's, that's where the money is. Work smart not hard!
Not a one of them was a 1040EZ or even a 1040A. Neither one of them exist anymore. About half of them were started before then and were pending information. A handlful of them were very complicated returns where I pulled the last bit of information out of the taxpayer that day. I earned some hefty fees out of those 25 returns.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">