• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The most basic help to e-file needed. How to start?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? WI

Now that getting the paper form and instructions for Wisconsin Schedule H (Homestead Credit) has become more difficult for me now that my local library won't be getting state forms delivered there anymore, I was thinking of trying to do it electronically. I thought the State's website would show me exactly how to do it, but I was wrong. https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/FAQS/ise-homeefil.aspx

I was expecting to be able to click on a form, fill it in, and attach a photo of any attachments I'd need. Now it looks like I'm expected to purchase additional software, and then pay fees to the software company to process it. On paper, I've done it all myself in about a half hour. I thought it might be faster and easier electronically. Isn't that why most people are doing it?
Is there a way to just click the form, fill it out and submit it like an email? Since even irs.gov has forms readily available to be displayed and printed, it would be even easier on Wisconsin's site.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Now that getting the paper form and instructions for Wisconsin Schedule H (Homestead Credit) has become more difficult for me now that my local library won't be getting state forms delivered there anymore, I was thinking of trying to do it electronically. I thought the State's website would show me exactly how to do it, but I was wrong. https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/FAQS/ise-homeefil.aspx

I was expecting to be able to click on a form, fill it in, and attach a photo of any attachments I'd need. Now it looks like I'm expected to purchase additional software, and then pay fees to the software company to process it. On paper, I've done it all myself in about a half hour. I thought it might be faster and easier electronically. Isn't that why most people are doing it?
Is there a way to just click the form, fill it out and submit it like an email? Since even irs.gov has forms readily available to be displayed and printed, it would be even easier on Wisconsin's site.
I'm sorry, but yours is not a legal question and this is not a "gripe" forum.

LdiJ

I am a tax professional and I cannot recall there ever being any kind of form that you could fill in and email to any taxing authority. As Zig already stated, there are all kinds of tax software programs and web sites out there, and many of them provide free services to selected taxpayers so you can shop around.

Lots of free programs to file - assuming you're filing a simple return.
Mine is a simple return. The only form I'd be filling in is Schedule H, Homestead Credit. The Wisconsin DOR site listed what they called "approved" software, and they listed which forms could be filed with each software, although I can't seem to locate that page right now. Is there a central source of free programs that can be used? I used google and found a free version of Turbotax, but it doesn't list Wisconsin Schedule H.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Mine is a simple return. The only form I'd be filling in is Schedule H, Homestead Credit. The Wisconsin DOR site listed what they called "approved" software, and they listed which forms could be filed with each software, although I can't seem to locate that page right now. Is there a central source of free programs that can be used? I used google and found a free version of Turbotax, but it doesn't list Wisconsin Schedule H.
This is not a referral site. I'm sure you can use any number of search engines just as well as the rest of us.

Wow, thank you! That's one thing I was looking for on that site but couldn't find it. I was then going to see if I could get them to send me the forms and instructions, but someone at the library said they don't do that, and that I'd have to go to a tax office which there was only one of in town, and it is now supposedly gone.
What I'll do is fill this out and save it to a flash drive and print it out at the public library on their printer. Then send it in.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Wow, thank you! That's one thing I was looking for on that site but couldn't find it. I was then going to see if I could get them to send me the forms and instructions, but someone at the library said they don't do that, and that I'd have to go to a tax office which there was only one of in town, and it is now supposedly gone.
What I'll do is fill this out and save it to a flash drive and print it out at the public library on their printer. Then send it in.
For future reference: oftentimes your public library has resources for this information - tax workshops, clinics, etc. These should be listed in their events section, or even under "seniors", but are open to all patrons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">