• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The primary on my car loan had the car repossessed by a local tow company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I love in Texas. A family friend co-signed on a vehicle for me. He is the primary and I am the secondary. I fell behind on payments by filed an extension so the car became current. I went outside one day to leave to get my check and the car was gone, no one knew where it was, not even the financing company. It turns out he hired a private tow company to tow the car, didn’t give me any notice, when I tried to reach out he blocked me on everything and asked me to no longer message him. I’ve been making payments on that car since November and now it’s just gone. I’m not sure what to do. I went and got my belongings but the tow company said they cannot release the car back to me because he is the one who made the payments for it to be towed and released. Can anyone help me with what to do from here? He claims that I was behind but even the finance company says that everything is current. He also does not live here. He lives in Michigan and is supposedly having the car shipped there.

The car wasn’t behind because I filed an extension to make it current. It was a brand new vehicle so I believe the title was to the financing company until it was paid off.

Yes however I filed an extension so the late payments were put at the end of the loan and it made the loan current so there was no longer a past due balance.

adjusterjack

I believe the title was to the financing company
The lender may hold the title as security but somebody is listed as the owner of the car.

Who would that be?

If your "primary" is the owner of the car and he wasn't happy with you being late (despite the resolution) he had every right to take the car back and all you were doing is renting it since November.

So your saying that even though I was current and that I got no notice from him at all and both of our names are on the registration, he was allowed to come and take the vehicle without telling me?

There isn’t a title. The title won’t be released to us until the car is paid off. So I have no idea what the car title says. All I know is that it is registered under both of our names.

PayrollHRGuy

It is his car as much if not more than yours.

Have you make ANY payments either at the time of purchase or as installments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">