• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Right To Bare Arms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mass_Shyster

That depends if you trust the propaganda presented to you by the dude with the white collar. Remember, the descendents of JC crawled out of the primordial soup just like ours did.
Shouldn't that be the ancestors of JC? Many believe He did not have any descendents.

The best solution I know of to the creation/evolution argument came from my tenth grade math teacher: "If God can create the world, He can create it so it looks like it's a billion years old, and make it look like we descended from monkeys."

slwslw

Texas law allows felons to possess a gun ONLY in their home, five years past the conviction.

I'm not sure how federal law would apply when only part of your gun rights to have a gun are restored.

If it's a federal felony you can't get those gun rights back, BUT

NOTE: The federal 922 laws only prohibit certain (most) felons from possessing firearms that have traveled in INTERSTATE COMMERCE. You are NOT prohibited UNDER FEDERAL LAW from possessing guns that did NOT travel in Interstate Commerce.

To get a gun that did NOT travel in interstate commerce you do a google search of gun manufacturers and find one in Texas. Buy one of their guns (you may have to buy it used or be prepeared to battle the feds when they turn you down for the gun purchase).

Make sure the gun did not travel in interstate commerce at any time. Do this by checking to see if the gun maker sells directly to the gun store or if they use a wholesaler. Then make sure the wholesaler is also in Texas. NOTE: Smith & Wesson, last I knew, Smith & Wesson didn't even sell to wholesalers. They would only sell to a Jobber. The Jobber then sold to the wholsealer who then sold to the retailer, so in that case you need to verify they are all in one state.

In the alternative, if you have a friend in another state (and if he already) owns a gun that never traveled in interstate commerce and he does NOT know you're a felon, he can sell it to you, so long as it is delivered to you without it going in interstate commerce (ie: FEDEX, UPS, USPS, AMTRAK, GREYHOUND, COMMERCIAL TRUCK, or AIRLINE). You or he will have to travel in a private vehicle when crossing state lines with the gun. Interstate travel in a private vehicle is not the same as Interstate Commerce.

If he purchases the gun solely to resell to you that is a strawman purchase and is illegal. If he sells to you AND he KNOWS you are a felon, he is breaking the law. But if he already has the gun and doesn't know of your felony status and the gun never traveled in interstate commerce and you or he are not violating any state laws, I don't see anything illegal in that.

Please note the federal 922 laws also deal with the ammo, that can't have ever traveled in interstate commerce either. There's a serial number on the box of ammo which can probably traced back through the ammo maker to the retail store, assuming the box of ammo is kept with the ammo and not discarded. In the alternative, you could buy the individual components of the ammo and reload the ammo yourself to avoid the ammo in interstate commerce charge.

If your felony is an overseas felony, the Supreme Court recently ruled that that doesn't count as a felony for the purposes of the FEDERAL 922 (felon in possession of gun) laws. That doesn't mean you can't be prosecuted under state felon in possession of gun laws, just because your felony was committed overseas.

I'm not a lawyer.

slwslw

Is 10 months too old?

The topic is very valid and ongoing. Much of the info. from the posters was incorrect and is still being held "out" to those reading it.

The original asker is probably still out there. In addition to that, new people on the forum will see that 10 month old question and not ask it again, thinking the answers were correct.

If we aren't suppose to answer 10 month old questions full of wrong answers, maybe they could either let us know that or lock the question after so many months? Just an idea.

Last edited:

Proserpina

The topic is very valid and ongoing. Much of the info. from the posters was incorrect and is still being held "out" to those reading it.

The original asker is probably still out there. In addition to that, new people on the forum will see that 10 month old question and not ask it again, thinking the answers were correct.

If we aren't suppose to answer 10 month old questions full of wrong answers, maybe they could either let us know that or lock the question after so many months? Just an idea.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. Ten months is too old. Six months is too old. TWO months is too old.

slwslw

Sorry, didn't mean to p anyone off

It doesn't make sense to me to stop answering a question because it's old, but I don't want to p anyone off either. Every answer to that question was wrong so I felt good giving a correct answer.

I sent a q. to whoever runs this forum to make sure i'm not violating rules of good conduct.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You will find that most message boards request that you not respond to dead threads. Laws change. Rather than go back correcting old threads it makes more sense to simply answer any new threads with correct information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">