• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the State versus an Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amberview

What is the name of your state? FL

I live in Florida and the biological father lives in TN. We were never married. I tried to get support for my 11 year old daughter when she was 1 when I lived in Georgia, and I was on welfare for the first year of her life and I suppose the state of GA was "pursuing" it before then. The State told me all they do is send a letter. When he responds they will set a court date. I said, "What if he doesn't respond?" They answered, "We will send another letter."

Now, 10 years later, I have located the father. I got him to pay support without a court order for about 8 months and now he has stopped (hasn't paid for 6 months) and will most likely not pay again.

Have things changed? I just spoke with a lawyer who says that he will charge me $3.5K to get support established and that the courts will only go back 2 years in arrears.

I have a lot of information now on the father, like his social security number, where he is living, and where he is working. Will the state still just send him letters if I go through them or will they actually do something like set a court date? Or Would it be better just to shop around for a lawyer.

GrowUp!

I have a lot of information now on the father, like his social security number, where he is living, and where he is working. Will the state still just send him letters if I go through them or will they actually do something like set a court date? Or Would it be better just to shop around for a lawyer.
Have you even bothered to call your local CSEA and ask them these very questions??

amberview

Yes

The person at our child support agency was very vague and didn't really answer my questions. After the third time of asking her what they will do, I thought I'd ask here. I also talked with an attorney before coming here too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">