• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They say my lease isn't up--yet I signed a 12 month lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vollbree88

If you learn NOTHING else from your 4+ years in college, life is HARD and people make MISTAKES....move on!!!

Always get a copy of whatever you sign WHEN you sign it!!!
I did get a copy of it!
They wrote stuff into the lease after I signed and turned in it.
Yes, people make mistakes. But, this is a BIG mistake. They are claiming I am the liar, despite I had all the proof in my corner. Am I not to express being upset? I think it's pretty natural to be bothered by this.

vollbree88

A seasonal lease agreement is subject to the same state laws as a standard annual lease or month-to-month lease. However, seasonal lease agreements tend to be modified and conditioned upon agreement between LL and tenant. Seasonal lease agreements are specific to the circumstances and purpose of rental -- college boarding, occasional at-will use, summer/winter vacation, etc. Therefore, the terms and conditions of start date and termination date are fixed for a certain number of months or weeks.

There are usually additional terms and conditions related to the time of non-occupancy or non-use which should be detailed in the original seasonal lease agreement. During the time of non-occupancy or non-use either the LL or tenant can be responsible for maintenance of the premises until reoccupied by current/temporary tenant or new/next tenant. (This would be reason to provide notice of intent to vacate.)

Whether tenant is obligated to sixty (60) days advance notice of intent to vacate from date of notice or date of rent term would depend on whether the State of Tennessee is a LITERAL day state or a TERM/RENT CYCLE state.
  • If Tennessee is a literal day state then tenant is obligated from date of notice.
  • If Tennessee is a term state then tenant is obligated from date of next rental period.

I've already got it figured out, thanks though.
NO I didn't have to give advance notice. They just didn't realize I had fulfilled my 12 month lease (they thought I moved in Aug 22 when in reality I moved June 1). There were specific move out dates already decided before moveout. I followed my end of the lease... and it is taken care of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">