• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Three seperate Events

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

Homeowners insurance also covers my landlord insurance. I have a $5000 deductable.

Here's the situation:Tenant finally vacated. I was finally able to assess damage. Got estimates and ot came to $50,000 +/- (rodents, trash, missing cabinets, all windows broken, doors broken, garage door broken, toilet, etc.). Called insurance. Adjuster did inspection and said that they decided the claim was three seperate events, and therefore the deductable would apply for each event. The adjusters estimate came in below the deductable for each event, so he said it would be pointless to file a claim.

Is this legal? Could someone give me some useful info (laws, etc.) to reference when I talk to the insurance company?

It largely comes down to how the damage occurred and what the terms of the policy are. If it can be shown that different parts of the damage to the home occurred in different events and the policy says the deductible applies to each event then the deductible of $5,000 may well apply to each one of those events.

But you said the adjuster's estimate of the damage for each one came in under $5,000. That means the adjuster says the total damages are somethng less than $15,000. Your estimates for repairs are $50,000. Why the big difference?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? California

Homeowners insurance also covers my landlord insurance. I have a $5000 deductable.

Here's the situation:Tenant finally vacated. I was finally able to assess damage. Got estimates and ot came to $50,000 +/- (rodents, trash, missing cabinets, all windows broken, doors broken, garage door broken, toilet, etc.). Called insurance. Adjuster did inspection and said that they decided the claim was three seperate events, and therefore the deductable would apply for each event. The adjusters estimate came in below the deductable for each event, so he said it would be pointless to file a claim.

Is this legal? Could someone give me some useful info (laws, etc.) to reference when I talk to the insurance company?
What does your question(s) have to do with Disability/ Long Term Care?

Sponsored Ad