• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time for order to go into effect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sunny_Day

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

The short question is how long should it take for an order modifying child support take effect with an employer?

The details are that a judge ruled on a modification on Aug. 3, 2010. I asked my attorney on that day when that day's order would take effect and he said immediately. Of course I probably assumed it could take up to a month for everything to fall into place, that being getting the order signed by the judge and opposing counsel and then getting it to my employer and the pay period or two that it might take there, but today makes over three months that the order was at least verbally stated by the judge and there has been no change with what's being deducted.

In other words, what is a reasonable amount of time to expect my attorney to do all the leg work it would take to get my employer a modification order? And is more than three months too long? Thanks.

Isis1

Are you the parent ordered to pay?

If you have a copy of the court order, you can walk the order (or fax) to your payroll department yourself to help speed things up. In the meantime, you should be making your monthly payments as scheduled.

Sunny_Day

Am I the Parent?

Yes, I am the father. And I did email a copy of the order to my HR Generalist, really to just show her that one was at some point on the way. I think I did suggest to her that if what I was emailing would suffice to make the change, to get on with it. She didn't respond one way or the other to that.

But is three months okay? And of course I am making payments, but I'm making three times the amount I'm ordered to pay.

Thanks again.

Isis1

Yes, I am the father. And I did email a copy of the order to my HR Generalist, really to just show her that one was at some point on the way. I think I did suggest to her that if what I was emailing would suffice to make the change, to get on with it. She didn't respond one way or the other to that.

But is three months okay? And of course I am making payments, but I'm making three times the amount I'm ordered to pay.

Thanks again.
I'd be proactive on this, and call her again. If she doesn't respond by the end of the week, I'd speak to her supervisor. Normally, I've seen six weeks to 3 months. Depends on how you are being paid. Such as week to week or month to month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">