• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time Reporting Responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SolitudesShadow

What is the name of your state?

Iowa

I would like to know the legal responsibility that an office assistant has regarding time keeping. Though the employees use a time clock, the manager views each time card, makes changes and insists the hours he decides an employee will get paid for are the only ones that can be input into the system. If the employee made an error in logging their time, that would be fine, but this manager docks people at whim and based on mood. Can the office assistant be held legally responsible in any manner since she is only doing what her boss tells her to? :confused:

K

krispenstpeter

Your boss may find the Department of Labor knocking on his door soon. And you do not want to be in the middle of it.

Beth3

Yowsa. :eek: That manager is playing with fire - one of these days, an employee (or all of them) are going to get fed up and file a complaint with the DOL but I don't see that the office assistant (who I presume is not a member of management) has any liability here. The boss is making the time card changes and the office assistant is, I presume, merely doing related clerical/payroll work that the boss is insisting on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">