• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Timeshare company won't pay!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmoehlman

South Carolina

On June 5th, 2005 my wife and I purchased a timeshare at Hilton Head, SC. As part of the negotiated agreement, the selling agency (Coral Resorts) agreed to pay for two additional years of RCI dues. When we signed the paperwork, there was initially no language in our contract to specify this agreement. When we brought this to the Salesman’s attention, he wrote the following statement on the RCI Points Participation Agreement: “Coral Resorts to pay an additional 2 years RCI dues.” We received a copy of the agreement with that statement written in and the deal was closed.

Around the middle of August 2006, we received a statement from RCI indicating that our membership fee was due for the coming year. After checking online about a month later, I found that the membership fee still had not been paid; my assumption was that Coral Resorts would pay it when due.

I contacted the office of Coral Resorts on September 19th, and eventually spoke with the one person that could supposedly help me. That person said that she would take care of the payment.

Three months later when I went to book a vacation, I learned that my account had not been paid, and until it was paid, I would be unable to make a reservation. I then contacted the afore-mentioned person via email and voicemail, and received an email with an apology that it had not been resolved and a promise to contact me after the first of the year.

Since that time, I have called and sent numerous emails with no response whatsoever. I finally called their owner services, and in February, sent them a certified letter of the events that transpired. They said they would respond within 14 days, but a month later, they have not contacted me in any way.

I would like to know what kind of action I might be able to pursue against them. Not only have they not paid the agreed upon membership fees, but I have also lost significant value due to points that will expire in less than 4 months. I feel that there has been a clear breach of contract, so I'm guessing that I would need to contact an attorney that specializes in Contract law. On the other hand, unless I can get the contract to be rescinded and get all of my money back, I wonder if I might be better off pursuing this through small claims court.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">