• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title in Girlfriends name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jt123mim

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.
I bought into my boyfriends home as an investment. We put the home in my name because apparently his ex wife was coming after him for alimony. We were able to do this without any problems with a quitclaim and filing it with the county. Now after the fact a lien has been put on the property (another company suing his business) in his name which does not make sense because when you pull up the home it is in my name alone. I went to the county assessors office and if you put his name into the computer his name comes up with an abstract judgment on the house. If you put my name in my name comes up with a clear title. How can this be? We did not refi so the note is still in his name and the ex. HELP! Also there are back taxes owed so I know I am responsible for these because I am on title. I am thinking of quitclaiming the home :eek:back to him and walking away from my investment and the boyfriend!:eek:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.
I bought into my boyfriends home as an investment. We put the home in my name because apparently his ex wife was coming after him for alimony. We were able to do this without any problems with a quitclaim and filing it with the county. Now after the fact a lien has been put on the property (another company suing his business) in his name which does not make sense because when you pull up the home it is in my name alone. I went to the county assessors office and if you put his name into the computer his name comes up with an abstract judgment on the house. If you put my name in my name comes up with a clear title. How can this be? We did not refi so the note is still in his name and the ex. HELP! Also there are back taxes owed so I know I am responsible for these because I am on title. I am thinking of quitclaiming the home :eek:back to him and walking away from my investment and the boyfriend!:eek:

**A: now you need an attorney.

Pojo

If while dodging his responsibilites you had merely gone to an Atty to do this all PROPERLY the Atty would have advised him how to protect his personal assets from a business matter.

He apparently already has piss poor credit or he would have simply refied the house out of her name and into his alone.

Actually he and she now owe for a loan where they no longer have an ownership interest.

Go see the Atty before this is screwed up as well.

justalayman

Go see the Atty before this is screwed up as well.
Too late.

I suspect the mortgage lender, if they catch wind of this attempted fraud, will invoke their due on sale clause, if there is one, in the mortgage loan.

I do find this a bit strange though:
We did not refi so the note is still in his name and the ex.
was the title never in the ex-wifes name? Possible. Dumb, but possible.

jt123mim

Title

The ex was taken off the title, as stated, house awarded to boyfriend in divorce. She liened the house for passed alimony. Boyfriend taken off title to protect from creitors coming after him. Bk attorney said to do this. Though I am on title (alone) credtors have liened the house in his name at the assessors. I think that I need an attorney.

HomeGuru

The ex was taken off the title, as stated, house awarded to boyfriend in divorce. She liened the house for passed alimony. Boyfriend taken off title to protect from creitors coming after him. Bk attorney said to do this. Though I am on title (alone) credtors have liened the house in his name at the assessors. I think that I need an attorney.
**A: you are correct, you need an attorney like long ago.

justalayman

=jt123mim;2203632]The ex was taken off the title, as stated,
where did you state that?
Boyfriend taken off title to protect from creitors coming after him
Sounds like a fraudulent transfer.

. Bk attorney said to do this
I think I would look for a different attorney to deal with this now. It seems the last one caused you some problems.
Though I am on title (alone) credtors have liened the house in his name at the assessors.
So, have you disputed the lien?
I think that I need an attorney
Oh ya.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">