• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

too much money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

warn59

I recently got a raise but the contract I signed is for i rec2 dollars a hour more than what I was supposed to get and have already received my first check with the inaccurate raise on it, should I tell the employer?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I recently got a raise but the contract I signed is for i rec2 dollars a hour more than what I was supposed to get and have already received my first check with the inaccurate raise on it, should I tell the employer?
What US state?
Are you comfortable stealing receiving something that you shouldn't from your employer?

Zigner

california, well its a contract
I just re-read your original post and now I think what you are saying is that they offered (as an example) $15 per hour. You agreed, then the actual written contract they provided stated you would $17 per hour. If THAT is the case, I think you need to decide whether or not to say something. Me, I would point it out...but my position is likely quite different than yours. There is no way anyone here can tell you how to act in your specific situation. Keep in mind that you can be fired for not pointing this out (assuming that such a consequence is not addressed by your contract).

Zigner

Huh?

I'm not quite understanding. Let's say EE and ER have a contract by which ER pays EE $20 per hour. Thereafter, ER decides to give EE a raise to $22 per hour. What's the problem? Perhaps your clarification of the above will shed some light on this.
I suspect that the OP and the employer agreed (verbally) to $20 per hour (for example), but the written contract that was presented by the employer stated $22 and the employee is now receiving $22. I'm waiting with bated breath to find out...

Zigner

Or, maybe his contract was for 20 per hour and his paycheck was only for 18 per hour. If that's the case I would tell employer in a heartbeat.
I don't think that's what's going on...see below:

I recently got a raise ...
So he's expecting to get more money now than before.
but the contract I signed is for i rec2 dollars a hour more than what I was supposed to get...
He signed a contract that is for $2 more per hour than what he agreed to verbally (or was told verbally).
and have already received my first check with the inaccurate raise on it...
His new paycheck is for more than he expected, but matches the contract.
should I tell the employer?
He's asking a question we can't answer...

ETA: Of course, the poster may not be a "he" - but I'll stick with the pronoun I used until asked otherwise by the OP.

warn59

i am on swing shift and the raise was for 2 dollars more a hour for swing shift and graveyard was for 4 dollars a hour, the contract I received was for 4 dollars a hour . I am worried I will have to pay back their mistake

Zigner

i am on swing shift and the raise was for 2 dollars more a hour for swing shift and graveyard was for 4 dollars a hour, the contract I received was for 4 dollars a hour . I am worried I will have to pay back their mistake
Why did you sign a contract with the wrong amount? Frankly, if it were me, I would let the payroll department and/or HR know. It's the proper thing to do and safer than hoping they don't catch on to the fact that you took advantage of their mistake.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Certainly you should request clarification from your employer. If it's not a mistake, fine, and you get points for honesty. If it is a mistake and you've not brought it to their attention, it doesn't look good for you, they can legally require that you pay it back, and the longer you wait to tell them, the more you have to pay back.

Zigner

Certainly you should request clarification from your employer. If it's not a mistake, fine, and you get points for honesty. If it is a mistake and you've not brought it to their attention, it doesn't look good for you, they can legally require that you pay it back, and the longer you wait to tell them, the more you have to pay back.
He's got a signed contract. I see no way for the employer to *force* the employee to pay it back. Of course, they can simply choose to let him go...so there's that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But is he receiving the correct amount under the contract? Not having read it, I'm not prepared to say so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">