• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tough to smile

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janeen

Arizona, My 6 mo. new boss brought in from Utah, and is now 4 mo's pregnant, to take on this new position where 11 different people have failed manageing this phone room in a years time, which is how long I have been employed with them. My title is reservationist, (better known as telemarketers), these positions are all P.T., 4pm - 9pm Sun thru Thrusday - we work on base pay plus commission.
The past 3 months, 5 female co-workers have suffered from teeth problems, including myself, (it's an age thing)... 3 ladies went to Mexico and suffered badly, each missing 3+ wks of work, and many trips to local dentists.

Myself, and the other ladies, have missed several shifts due to infections and pain. Two of us still waiting on our dentist for solid appointment which we will have to give them half of the full charge, having no dental insurance. Last month I had an emergency dental visit where they had to surgically remove my front two teeth, and took 12 stitches, a week earlier I lost 2 other teeth that I pulled myself, the boss was very sympathetic to all of us. But we're all getting tired of it. And now my two eye teeth are loose and very painful, rating right up there with child birth. A few days ago, I woke with an infection that entered my sinus cavity creating a 102 fever, I called work, the boss put me on hold, then her assistant came on saying 'No, you need to come in, there are to many people out today, and we need you here, so just take a pain pill now, and be here by 4', I was stunned, but able to say, "you want me to take a pain pill and then operate a vehicle while running a high fever? She said 'well, ok then, come in and then take a pain pill.' I was speechless and angry, all I could do was hang up & lay back down. The next day was somewhat better, still had a fever, & felt like crap, and didn't want to hear any derogatory statements, so I elected not to call in, hoping they'd know, as they have in the past, that I was still hurting. That night the infection cleared and the fever broke, so I went in the next day, and was told I was real lucky to still have a job, and I had better keep on the edge, for I am replaceable, I didn't understand where that came from, since the boss has been there from the beginning, and come to find out the other co-worker, was out for 3 days, and only called once, and nothing was said to her, but, she'd worked there off and on for several years, was one of those 11 managers, & is rated our top booker, where I'm rated 4th.
The following week, alot of people called off, the Boss was stressed, and a long way from hitting our goal in books, so desperate to hit the numbers, and only 8 of us working. She had her office boy, go thru the active files and retrieve all extended acct's that were set up to receive their confirmation letter next month, she directed him to pull them and send the letter, which only would make next month's numbers short. By next week, several of those accts had called, upset for rushing them, with 4 out of my 16 pulled cancelling, but by quick thinking and some fast talk, I was able to reschedule them. When the boss saw the name go up on the board she openly accussed me of flipping those accounts and refused to give me the books, we argued, she openly called me a liar 3 times and walked away, there shortly after she went home. The next day she called me in to her office, saying she had already fired me once, but changed her mind, and said 'to keep your job you will not be late again, which I countered by saying I had never been late, she said as far as I'm concerned if your not here 15 min. before your shift, your late! I reminded her that she knows I work a morning job too. If you know your going to be absent you will call each day, if not I expect you to be here, I didn't what to go into the reason for not calling 2 weeks ago, and the remarks that were made, and last, you are not to lie to me again, I said I DID NOT LIE TO YOU OR DO I NEED TO, If you'd look at each acct, you'd see they cancelled, and rebooked all within a few days, putting them up on the board again, she said I have people who reports these things to me, thats their job, what are they liars, I said no, not necessarily, but I believe they also recognized THOSE names from last weeks board too, and knowing that it normally takes 3-4 calls to reschedule one cancellation, much less four, I believe they drew the conclussion, given such a short time frame, that these had to of been flipped. and never checked the files, but relied purely on the odds and experience. And thats the report you got. Because believe me, I was surpised, and impressed, that I got them all back on the first try. But she wouildn't hear it, she just kept saying that 'she had seen those same names a week before, and there's no way', then she said to me that 'the best thing you can do is not say another word because your in denial'. I said again very bluntly 'those are true books, not lies' and she thru her hands up and said thats it... your gone, then stormed out of the room, I just sat there, stunned. Then her 42 year old "wanna be boss" office boy, came in to tell me I need to go now, I just looked at him and said 'shut the $@!% up, and stayed seated until I calmed down, went and asked the boss if she had calmed down enough to continue talking, she said yes, we went back into her office. Talked for another 45 min. then she told me to take a break and get on the phone.

With 2 days off, my eye-teeth became very painful, and swollen, but went in anyway on Sunday, the other gal called off, again. The boss sent me home 1 hr early. I decided, I had enough pain and planned to camp in the dentist lobby tommorrow, until something was done or at least get a solid appointment. I called the dentist early Monday for their hours and got a tape recording saying, this office will be closed this week, contact us next Monday.

Hurting badly, I went to another Dentist as an emergency visit, due to infection, he couldn't pull them, so instead he packed stuff between the tooth and gum so they would be stable. Got home, debating work or not. Still had 5 hours to go, I'll know then. An hour later my boss called me, I told her what happened with both dentists, and she said, as if she never heard me, 'this is the deal, because of whats happened lately, I have decided that you need to take off a week and get it together', I said, 'but there is no Dentist until next week'. She interupted by saying, 'your not listening to me, you need to take care of things and I'm giving you a week to do it in', again I said - 'no Dentist, I will need this time next week when he pulls my remaining 7 upper teeth', she said 'then use your vacation time' I started to protest, she put her hand up, and said 'I have you marked off the the board for the rest of the week, don't call here, and don't come in, and we'll see you next Monday... OK...Bye. Click.

And thats where things stand folks, any suggestions, or legal advice that I should know? Can she really do all of that to me, and not to the others.

Last edited:

Janeen

WOW - I'm pretty kick back, and that all, just, seemed more harsh than it needed to be. I'm yet to know why she singled me out. Time will tell.

Only now, I can't get the work done, because that was the extra paycheck I planned using for the down payment.. This could get interesting!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">