• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towed Illegally? I'm not sure, but they didn't have any signs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adjusterjack

Fair enough. When I made the phony permit, I figured they'd give me a ticket. Once that happened I would have parked somewhere else. I wasn't expecting to get towed! Not that I didn't deserve it. I guess I'm the bad guy this time. Oh well, thanks a ton!
I robbed a bank. I thought I would just get probation. I wasn't expecting 10 years in prison. :p

HRZ

Facts/law as researched by Quincy runs against your point of view . The University is entitled to take a hard line...and for all you know your car was noted with a fake permit 20 times earlier .....pay up and get a real permit if available .

quincy

I hope Maximus accepts that he is probably better off paying the fine and fee without complaint. I am afraid challenging the tow and fee (without a legally supportable reason) will only make the university more likely to take action on the fake permit when it might otherwise be ignored.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I hope Maximus accepts that he is probably better off paying the fine and fee without complaint. I am afraid challenging the tow and fee (without a legally supportable reason) will only make the university more likely to take action on the fake permit when it might otherwise be ignored.
You mean things like... expulsion? :unsure:

quincy

You mean things like... expulsion? :unsure:
I don't know what the university would do, quite frankly. :)

I can only find where it says that violators of the parking policy can be referred to proper authorities and/or the office of student affairs.

I would think expulsion unlikely over a parking issue ... but the fake permit? I just don't know.

HRZ

I would think the university is entitled to hang you out to,dry IF you chose to make a debate about the forged parking permits PLUS turn you over to law enforcement for any additional issues such as theft by deception

Reactions: RJR

quincy

I would think the university is entitled to hang you out to,dry IF you chose to make a debate about the forged parking permits PLUS turn you over to law enforcement for any additional issues such as theft by deception
That certainly would be the drawback to challenging what was a legal tow and fines.

RJR

Dayton Municipal Ordinances give police authority to impound vehicles for evidence purposes. A fake permit is a crime, so to preserve the evidence, the car can be towed, as a break in is not allowed.

RJR

Good point, theft by deception, as he is avoiding paying a parking fee.

quincy

He has to pay the tow and fines. I am not sure there will be criminal charges coming from the fake permit, however ... although as I stated early on, there could be.

I am curious, RJR: What is your background?

RJR

He has to pay the tow and fines. I am not sure there will be criminal charges coming from the fake permit, however ... although as I stated early on, there could be.

I am curious, RJR: What is your background?

Took Criminal law as my Major in College plus study other general legal aspects. A little rusty, so if I need corrected anytime, that's cool.

quincy

Took Criminal law as my Major in College plus study other general legal aspects. A little rusty, so if I need corrected anytime, that's cool.
I am sure members will correct you when you need correcting. :)

What do you do now? Did you go into a criminal justice field after college?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">