• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Towing Company license to steal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tbud333

What is the name of your state? California.
This is in addition to my post from yesterday involving son's DUI arrest. The vehicle my son was driving at the time of his DUI was towed to a storage yard where it was held for 12 hours until I paid the cost to get it released. When I got home with the car, my son asks where is his ipod? (It WAS connected to his stereo system at the time of arrest)
We checked the car and also discovered that we are missing 2 wireless headsets for our cell phones, an LCD flashlight and a pair of sunglasses.
I called the tow company and asked what happened to it and the office manager told me that there is no ipod (value $350.00)listed on the inventory report that came in with the car and insinuated that the police must have taken it.
I then called the police dept. and told them it was missing and told them what she had told me. An officer pulled up the inventory list and said that it is indeed listed on the sheet and for me to call her back and tell her what he said. He said that is why they have insurance with the company.
I did that . The towing company said they would look into it and call me back but I still have heard nothing from them.
My question is: Who is responsible for getting me another ipod? The towing company has a sign that says they are not responsible for personal belongings but I did not have the option to get my belongings before it was towed.
How should I proceed with this?

tbud333

I only started this new thread because the first one is about a DUI and this is about Consumer & General Practice Law.
Didn't think it belonged in other categorie.

I believe that sign you talked about isn't an issue in this case. The police called this place to pick up the car. They apparently are too small of a police station to have a impound, so they use a private company. That sign pertains to cars that are picked up otherwise. Your son's car was impounded by the police and they have an inventory sheet they do for this reason. The tow yard has to take reasonable care and protect the car and its items within. This company is required to have insurance for cases like this. I would file a claim and have all the paperwork from the police to go with it. Don't count on the tow yard to pay personally. I hope you are not trying to get stuff that was old and beat up replaced by claiming it wasn't in the car....:rolleyes:

tbud333

No, I am not trying to claim old and broken things missing from the car. The ipod was a 30 GB that i purchased at xmas. Its still under warranty and I do still have the receipt for it.
Everything missing was operational, bluetooth headsets were in the car because the law now does not allow you to talk on a cell phone while driving.
The tow company will not call me back. I think they want me to just give up and drop it but I'm not going to.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, I am not trying to claim old and broken things missing from the car. The ipod was a 30 GB that i purchased at xmas. Its still under warranty and I do still have the receipt for it.
Everything missing was operational, bluetooth headsets were in the car because the law now does not allow you to talk on a cell phone while driving.
The tow company will not call me back. I think they want me to just give up and drop it but I'm not going to.
Keep on it - but do keep in mind that you will not get the replacement cost of the items in question...

tbud333

So what should I expect? The price of the 30 GB ipod has not gone down at all that I can see since December. How do they determine the settlement cost?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">