• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Town clerks action created hostile environment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brenside

What is the name of your state? Montana
Hired as Public Works Director of a small town in Montana, over the telephone, relocating from Oregon to Montana to accept the job. After I arrived to my position I was greeted with hostility by members of the town, which eventually caused me to quit the job. The towns clerk gave confidentual information from my personal file without my consent. Later the town clerk gave information about my taxes and health declairations to another town employee with out my consent. The members of the ton used my information to conduct a back ground check and then spread the information to other members of the town, along with other alligations that were not true to intentionally, and mulitously defame my character. I finally quit due to the hostile environment the actions of the town clerk had created. I know it is a violation of my erights and by law nothing can be distributed or devulged from my personal file without my consent. How do i hold them acountable?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Montana
Hired as Public Works Director of a small town in Montana, over the telephone, relocating from Oregon to Montana to accept the job. After I arrived to my position I was greeted with hostility by members of the town, which eventually caused me to quit the job. The towns clerk gave confidentual information from my personal file without my consent. Later the town clerk gave information about my taxes and health declairations to another town employee with out my consent. The members of the ton used my information to conduct a back ground check and then spread the information to other members of the town, along with other alligations that were not true to intentionally, and mulitously defame my character. I finally quit due to the hostile environment the actions of the town clerk had created. I know it is a violation of my erights and by law nothing can be distributed or devulged from my personal file without my consent. How do i hold them acountable?
Why do you think the town clerk did this and why do you think the town became hostile?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
by law nothing can be distributed or devulged from my personal file without my consent

Please post a link to that law.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I know it is a violation of my erights and by law nothing can be distributed or devulged from my personal file without my consent. How do i hold them acountable?
There is no federal law that makes disclosing information from your personnel file illegal. Any such law would have to be a state law or local ordinance. Do you know of a specific Montana or local law that provides you that protection? If so, what law is that? Your remedies for the violation would be spelled out in that law. As a public employee, some basic information about your job will be available to the public.

Of course if the clerk spread untrue facts about you that injured your reputation you may have a defamation lawsuit to pursue.

brenside

Why do you think the town clerk did this and why do you think the town became hostile?
Equipment sabotaged, phone threats, fire set, and video of several town meetings, I believe prejudice against an out sider, also the town member in the lead with the pitch fork, was trying to get rid of the Mayor. As to why the clerk did this, maybe to help get rid of the Mayor, as it was rumered the clerk and paticular town member who had just created her own realestate firm orchstrated town property sale for cheap, byfalsifying records for advertising.

quincy

What exactly was said about you, brenside? The background check was said to show what? Didn’t the one who hired you come to your defense?

xylene

You had an important public sector job, one you relocated for, and you were compelled to quit.

That alone suggests a review by a lawyer is warranted. The spreading of malicious gossip related to you health, and the possibility of false and defamatory statements further indicate you need your situation to be reviewed by a lawyer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The term, hostile work environment, has a very specific meaning in employment law. So far, you have described an unpleasant workplace certainly, but nothing that points to an hwe as defined by law.

I believe in his early question Quincy may not meant, what actions took place that you found hostile, but why were you singled out for this treatment and not someone else?

xylene

The term, hostile work environment, has a very specific meaning in employment law. So far, you have described an unpleasant workplace certainly, but nothing that points to an hwe as defined by law.
Why do you say that? The OP clearly states this was is reference to 'health declarations' which is quite possible to be the disclosure of a disability.

quincy

I don’t see a hostile workplace claim but there is a possibility of a defamation claim against the town clerk.

brenside, what did the police do when you reported the sabotaged equipment, phone threats and fire?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Why do you say that? The OP clearly states this was is reference to 'health declarations' which is quite possible to be the disclosure of a disability.
And possibly it is not. There is a great deal contained in the phrase "health declarations" that does not related to a protected disability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">