• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trampoline

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rimoto

What is the name of your state? MN

I'm brand new to this forum. Thank you for any help!

I currently own a trampoline. Yes I know of the dangers but my 4 children LOVE IT!

Question: I'm renewing my homeowner's policy this Friday I'm trying to get a new policy. No company will insure me with the trampoline in my yard. I'm even afraid if I tell my current policy writer, they'll drop me.

So, do I keep the trampoline and lie to the potential insurers about having it. I'm willing to assume the risk for potential injury due to the trampoline only.

BUT, can the insurance company deny other potential non-trampoline related claims because I was dishonest about the trampoline?

Thanks.:confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

So, when your next door neighbor kid, little Billy, smashes his teeth with blood gushing, breaks his jaw in three places, and has a ruptured cervical disk rendering him immobile for 6 months, as the result of crashing down on the railing, you're seriously willing to place your entire financial future, and your neck, and everything you've worked hard for, on the chopping block - - just for a trampoline?

IAAL

R

rimoto

I could give a darn about Billy (kidding).

I'd be grateful for an answer to my question.

HomeGuru

IAAL gave you an answer.
Without insurance, if poor Billy filed a claim against you, Billy would own your home.

R

rimoto

Thanks, I appreciate both your replies even though my question was never answered:

BUT, can the insurance company deny other potential non-trampoline related claims because I was dishonest about the trampoline?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Here's the point from our perspective - -

We're not going to help you. You see, you're asking us to help you to potentially go morally and financially bankrupt, due to medical bills and other damages (not to mention a huge judgment against you), causing you to lose your home, or whatever else you have in this life. We don't want you shifting your financial losses (read stupidity) to us when you file bankruptcy. Pay the insurance.

You're a disaster waiting to happen.

IAAL

R

rimoto

Thanks for your responses. Glad to see there are some perfect folks in this world. You might just try initially answering the question instead of pulling some holier than thou crap comments. Since you guys don't know the answer, then why not just say?

Didn't want to get into any details. For the record, there are 22 houses in the neighborhood. 11 houses have children. 10 of these houses have trampolines.

I may appear to be an unethical person, but unfortunately you just don't know me. I would prefer to just sign an insurance rider that exonerates the insurance company of any liability from the trampoline, but that's not an option.

Since you guys are probably Actuaries also (NOT) then you can probably tell me the statistical probability of an accident that would lead to litigation. Per year (in US), there are over 3,000 trampoline accidents, 27 deaths, 443 accidents considered serious). There are currently 2,000,000+ trampolines in use. Of the 570 deaths/serious accidents, 63% of these occurred on trampolines without netting. We have netting and no one uses our trampoline unless trespassing (yes, I know this is possible but not likely)

So tell me, what's the probability of a death/serious accident happening to our our neighbor?? Damn low enough that I would elect to be assume the risk myself if given the choice. I also choose to drop Comp/Collision on our cars when they are worth less than $10,000 based on our history of NEVER having an accident (45 years of driving between my wife and I)

One can't be insured for every possible peril, nor would it be prudent to do so.

Don't be such a jerk, someone may just appreciate your advice.

Wanna remove my login privileges? Go right ahead. Doesn't look like many folks are getting much useful anyway.

tammy8

Even if you don't tell your insurance company upfront, most (about 99%) of companies do a visiual inspection at which time they would realize you had a trampoline. At this point they would ask you to remove the trampoline or face cancelation.

R

rimoto

Tammy,

Thanks for the advice.

I believe my question has some merit. Not for unethical people, but for the basic question:

Can an insurance company in Minnesota refuse to pay a claim because of any known inaccuracies by the policy holder.

For instance, I just called my insurer the other day to advise that our alarm system had been turned off. Guess I felt I needed to advise and pay up for the discount I was receiving.

But if I wouldn't have said anything and instead kept receiving the discount, could the insurance company refuse a claim if I had say a plumbing pipe burst?

I'll research this and post here when I find the answer. I'm sure the most excellent senior members wouldn't do anything like that, but some mortals actually forget and let that stuff slip sometimes (OK, now I know I'm being childish).

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Everybody's got an excuse, a justification, and a statistic for their own stupidity. It's the "It'll never happen to me" syndrome.

Those are the one's that wind up coming back to these Forums, after an incident, saying - - "Now what do I do?" or "Help me!"

How I wish I had a dollar for each time I've read those statements on these forums.

Sure, an accident MAY never occur. But, that's what insurance is for - - for that "statistical one time" when an accident does happen. It's those people that lose everything.

What do you tell someone like our writer?

"I told you so"?

If you want to spin the "Wheel of Misfortune" and hope your number doesn't come up, that's your personal and financial business. Do whatever you want.

IAAL

Last edited:
R

rimoto

IAAL,

You've been so helpful already. With your advice I'll go out and spend my life savings on every kind of insurance possible. You're probably at the front of the line for aircraft accident insurance.

I think I'd be much richer if I got a dollar for every arrogant, usless comment you've posted on this forum.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rimoto said:
IAAL,

You've been so helpful already. With your advice I'll go out and spend my life savings on every kind of insurance possible. You're probably at the front of the line for aircraft accident insurance.

I think I'd be much richer if I got a dollar for every arrogant, usless comment you've posted on this forum.

My response:

Okay, have it your way. Just remember - - don't go crying to ANYONE when the inevitable happens. It's not a matter of whether an accident will happen - - it's a matter of when.

I guess you don't believe that trampolines are "inherently" dangerous.

But, like I said, "Everybody's got an excuse, a justification, and a statistic for their own stupidity."

Good luck to you - - actually, I mean, good luck to the users of your trampoline.

IAAL

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Oh, by the way, and now that you've brought this whole matter up, and you still have questions on your mind about it, I thought I'd ask you one, last, question - - Have you ever heard of Murphy's Law?

IAAL

HomeGuru

rimoto said:
Thanks, I appreciate both your replies even though my question was never answered:

**A: why all the fuss. The answer is in your insurance policy. Just read the fine print in the damn policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">