• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trampoline

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hmmbrdzz

Geez. Trampoline? No way. You're nuts to get one and assume that a kid won't be a para or a quad within two weeks of one being in your back yard. My son, when he was 13 years old, went to a friends; the friends neighbor had a gd trampoline; they got on it with parents permission; (not mine -- I would have never given it), and I received a call two hours later and he was in ED with a left foot twice a big as the right. I almost sued the owner of the trampoline for medical expenses (broken ankle, couldn't play baseball or any sport for the rest of year; ultimately kept him from being airborne), but I didn't want to put him (my son) through the embarrassment of it all back then (small town here). I could have, though. And the owners were scared to death that I was. He still had a love for trampolines even after breaking his ankle on one, and Lo and Behold here comes his uncle a few years later, wanting to purchase one for him for Christmas and put it in OUR back yard. I flat refused because I would never allow anyone to get on a tramp in MY yard. No way. Screw a trampoline. HUGE liability for the property owner. Don't you know that? WHY would you NOT know that, and why would you be willing to take even a small risk like that? RN here, your children could wind up in a w/c. (wheelchair).

hmmbrdzz

R

rimoto

Thanks for your comment. I know you mean very well.

No, I'm not nuts. I Absolutely respect your opinion.

I am choosing to use objective criteria to make my decision on our trampoline. I am a person who chooses to go with the odds.
For instance, I could choose to use the bus to go to work, it is exponentially much safer than driving my car and it is cheaper. However, the freedom and time savings of driving my car makes thie risk worth it.

If you've ever jumped on a trampoline for even 5 minutes, you'd realize the cardiovascular benefits it has, plus it's incredibility fun.
This (based on the odds I have researched) outweighs it's obvious risks.

I think Murphy's law is a crutch for lawyers and negative people. Anyone who lives by it or expounds it's virtures is a moron.

I have decided to keep my current policy and pay the extra $450 per year. The extra $450 is not because I have a Trampoline, just because there are much cheaper insurance providers with exact coverage (such as American Express).

If I haven't pissed off everyone in this forum, this question would be valid for the (now 3 million US) owners of trampolines.

My original policy (written 2 years ago) did not specifically ask a question about trampoline and makes no exclusions for it. If I keep this insurer:

A. Am I obligated to mention this to my insurer

B. Can the provider deny ANY claims because of not notifying of the trampoline?

If there is an obligation to notify the insurance company, then literally millions of trampoline owners are not insured for liability due to their trampolines and can't switch insurance companies while keeping their trampolines. Which would mean basically, no one with a trampoline is insured.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rimoto said:

I have decided to keep my current policy and pay the extra $450 per year. The extra $450 is not because I have a Trampoline, just because there are much cheaper insurance providers with exact coverage (such as American Express).

My original policy (written 2 years ago) did not specifically ask a question about trampoline and makes no exclusions for it. If I keep this insurer:

A. Am I obligated to mention this to my insurer

MY RESPONSE: Yes. Trampolines are inherently dangerous.

B. Can the provider deny ANY claims because of not notifying of the trampoline?

MY RESPONSE: Yes, but only as to risks and injuries incurred as it relates to the trampoline. Obviously, a fire cannot be related to trampoline usage.

The insurance company's underwriting department relies upon the accuracy of the information disclosed in the insured's application in determining whether to underwrite a risk and what premium to charge.

The insurer is therefore entitled to rescind the policy, even after a loss has occurred, for material misrepresentations in the application.

The materiality of the information is determined solely by the probable and reasonable effect which truthful answers would have had upon the insurer. Rescission is proper even if no actual intent to deceive is shown.

It is enough that the true facts, if known, may have influenced the insurer in its decision whether to accept the risk: Materiality is determined solely by the probable and reasonable effect which truthful answers would have had upon the insurer.

IAAL

HomeGuru

rimoto said:
What is the name of your state? MN

I'm brand new to this forum. Thank you for any help!

I currently own a trampoline. Yes I know of the dangers but my 4 children LOVE IT!

Question: I'm renewing my homeowner's policy this Friday I'm trying to get a new policy. No company will insure me with the trampoline in my yard. I'm even afraid if I tell my current policy writer, they'll drop me.

So, do I keep the trampoline and lie to the potential insurers about having it. I'm willing to assume the risk for potential injury due to the trampoline only.

BUT, can the insurance company deny other potential non-trampoline related claims because I was dishonest about the trampoline?

Thanks.:confused:

**A: you can discover the answer to your two last questions using simple logic. I refer you to your statement, " No company will insure me with the trampoline in my yard".

H

hmmbrdzz

Of course it's fun. I used to jump on one and do forward flips. I guess in this process called "aging" I have learned to enjoy thrill-seeking without inviting the odds of the liability associated with it into my back yard. Choosing to have a trampoline and chosing to drive your car is like chosing to have a unleashed pit bull vs. having a hampster for a pet.

You're free to make your own choices, and I guess you could say advice givers are free to attempt to convince you to "consider them". Have fun jumping. Just hope the dog doesn't bit someone in a** (and when it does, assume full liability).

hmmbrdzz

tammy8

Another thing to consider, insurance companies not only inspect your property before insuring you but usually REinspect your property every couple of yrs. If you stay where you are, be prepared to be told to get rid of the trampoline......or put a locked fence around it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">